I discovered a new love, this weekend. As part of #CollectiveBias’s #FamilyFavorites campaign I got to try Heinz’s Classico Family Favorites pasta sauces. The flavor was as close to home-cooked as I’ve ever had from a jar and it was loaded with great spices and seasonings to bring out the authentic Italian tastes my family knows and loves. The sauce made putting this delicious dish together, even easier! I picked up several jars at out our local Walmart, in Aisle 11’s Pasta and Spaghetti Sauce section. (Once they were empty, I even saved the pretty, square, glass jars for a later project!). SAVE $1 off Classico family favorites when you buy two jars.
Zucchini Parmesan is super simple to make and incredibly delicious! This dish will work well whether you use it as a side dish or a main dish. We gobbled the first batch up for lunch with just some salad on the side. If you have an over-abundance of zucchini from your garden, this recipe will solve that dilemma. Seriously, your family will NOT be able to get enough of this scrumptious recipe. I taught our two most famous zucchini despisers to make this tasty treat over the weekend and turned them both away from the “dark side”. 🙂 They are officially, card carrying members of the Zucchini fan club, now.
That’s just one more reason that cooking with your kids is so critically important. We’re all more likely to enjoy things that we’re personally invested in. If I had whipped up this dish and set it down in front of them, both of these diehard “I don’t like zucchini.” naysayers, would have wrinkled their pretty noses and pushed it away. After the fun of working together to prepare the dish, though, they were excited to try it. They had a great sense of accomplishment over how beautiful the dish was and how much they enjoyed the flavors. I reveled in the fact that they were both excited about a vegetable they wouldn’t have, otherwise, eaten. Win, win, win, win win, win, win….on so many levels this day, and this dish, were a great triumph. We laughed and made great family memories, I passed on a legacy of passion for cooking and sharing time with family, and the Zucchini Parmesan…oh my gravy! the Zucchini Parmesan…..delizioso! It was an excellent day to be busy at home!
The dish is quick and easy to prepare. Simply slice the zucchini. Salt and pepper them on both sides, then dredge them lightly in flour, tapping off any excess, so the coating isn’t too thick.
Brown the zucchini in butter, so that both sides are crispy, golden brown. Drain them and then arrange them in a single layer in a baking dish. We used three medium-sized zucchini and ended up with about 75 slices. That meant, to get a single layer, we would need two 9×13 pans, or in our case, one of my half-sheet pans (12×18).
Once the golden brown discs are arranged in your pan, spoon a dollop of Classic Family Favorites sauce onto each slice and then top with a piece of Mozzarella.
This recipe only needs to bake about 20 minutes, to get the sauce bubbling and melt the cheese to ooey, gooey perfection. At that point sprinkle the top with freshly grated Parmesan and bake for another 5 minutes until that melts. Sprinkle it with chopped fresh parsley and serve to the clambering crowd. Be prepared for cheers and requests for an encore performance! 🙂
You’re going to love how quick and easy this recipe is to put on the table. Enjoy!
- 3 medium zucchini, washed and sliced into ⅓" slices
- 1 (24 oz) jar Heinz Classico Family Favorites pasta sauce, (your flavor choice)
- 1 lb fresh Mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup butter
- flour for dredging
- optional, fresh parsley, chopped for garnish
- Wash and slice the zucchini.
- Salt and pepper zucchini slices on both sides.
- Lightly dredge zucchini slices in flour. Shake off any excess.
- Heat butter in a large skillet until melted and hot. Add zucchini slices in a single layer to the skillet.
- Brown on one side, then turn and brown the other.
- Remove to paper towels or a clean tea towel to drain.
- Repeat with all zucchini slices
- Arrange browned zucchini slices, in a single layer, into two 9x13 baking pans (or one 12x18).
- Spoon a dollop of Classico Family Favorites pasta sauce onto each zucchini slice.
- Cut Mozzarella into ¼" thick square slices and lay on top of each of the sauce-topped zucchini slices.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes, until cheese is melted and sauce is hot and bubbly around the edges.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Return to the oven for 5 minutes more to melt the Parmesan.
- Sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley and serve.
What veggie do you think your kids would be more willing to try if they helped to create something delicious with it, in the kitchen?
Are you known for “camoflauging” veggies in other dishes? What’s your best kept veggie secret?