Congratulations to #459, Erin.
She’s our winner in the Zojirushi Rice Cooker Giveaway!!!!
I shared the beginning of my Zojirushi Umami Micom Rice Cooker review , last week. I hope you’ll read through it and learn all the features of this extraordinary kitchen tool. Today, I want to share more delicious ideas and recipes with you, plus give you a chance to win one of these fabulous appliances for your own kitchen!
First of all, I have to know — does your whole family wake up at the same time, every morning? Ours definitely does not. We have early risers who pop right up the moment they’re awake, those who are definitely not morning people and the ones in between. 🙂 Which category do you think I fit into? – lol-
A hot breakfast can be a challenge when everyone is wandering out to the kitchen at different times. Either everyone has to make individual breakfasts or someone is going to be eating it cold. Who would have thought that my Zojirushi Umami Micom Rice Cooker would solve this dilemma?!!! I was very excited at the idea of cooking grains with it and while I definitely want to branch out and try some of the ancient grains we hear so much about, now, i.e. quinoa, kamut, amaranth, I went with what I had on hand – rolled oats – and the results were marvelous. It was SIMPLE! I put all the ingredients in the Zojirushi Umami Micom Rice Cooker, turned it on and walked away. When the oatmeal was done, the cooker immediately switched to Keep Warm and whenever my blurry-eyed children decided they were ready for breakfast, it was warm and ready.
Rice Cooker Oatmeal
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup dried blueberries
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- water up to the porridge line (approx. 4 cups)
I used the included measuring cup to measure the oats and blueberries into the cooker pan, and then added the spices right on top.
Next, I added water to the PORRIDGE (thick) line. (I do not like soupy oatmeal.)
Place the cooker pan back into the appliance and hit the MENU button until the arrow rotates around to the porridge setting.
Depress the START button and walk away. The rice cooker will alert you when breakfast is done! 🙂
My perfectly cooked oatmeal cooked for a little over an hour ( I was able to get in my devotional time and start some laundry!) and then the rice cooker immediately switched over to the Keep Warm cycle, allowing those who were already up to have breakfast right away, while keeping the oatmeal fresh, warm and delicious for those who got up nearly 45 minutes later. Woohoo! No trying to reheat thick, gloppy leftover oatmeal. No matter when they arose, everyone had a hot, delicious breakfast.
I served up this wonderful hot cereal with brown sugar and chopped pecans. It was delish and a marvelous way to start the day!
I won’t take the time to go through the entire recipe, this evening, but I want you to know I also used my rice cooker, tonight to make a family favorite for dinner — Lentil Rice Casserole. I used the GABA Brown Rice setting and my husband has declared that texturally, this version is far superior to our original recipe. I made the whole dish in one pan and didn’t even need to heat up the oven. At suppertime, we enjoyed a delicous, nutritious meal and had the simplest clean-up ever! Win! Win!
Clearly, I’m not finished, yet! I am having so much fun exploring the myriad ways to use this appliance and finding recipes that are perfect to cook in it. And you can find fabulous recipe suggestions on their site. But, for tonight, I want to share something even more exciting! Zojirushi has generously agreed to award a Zojirushi Umami Micom Rice Cooker, to one very fortunate Busy-at-Home reader, as the prize in a fabulous giveaway!
You must be 18 or older and a resident of the U.S. to enter. Mandatory entry must be completed for any optional entries to be counted. Deadline for entry is midnight, Sunday March 20, 2011.
Visit the Zojirushi website and pick a recipe you would love to see me demonstrate on the blog. Leave the recipe title in a comment below.
- Visit Zojirushi and find another product you would like to own. Leave a comment below telling me what it is.
- Follow Busy-at-Home on Twitter. Leave a comment letting me know you’ve done it.
- Like Busy-at-Home on Facebook. Leave a comment letting me know you’ve done it.
- Follow Busy-at-Home on Google Friends Connect. Use the “Join” button in the right-hand sidebar. Leave a comment letting me know you’ve done it.
- Subscribe to the Busy-at-Home Newsletter with this link (or in the right-hand sidebar). You will receive an email confirmation with a link that must be clicked to confirm your subscription. Once you click the email link to confirm your subscription, leave me a comment to let me know you’ve done it.
- Post this giveaway on your Facebook page. Enter to win a fabulous Zojirushi Umami Micom Rice Cooker at Busy-at-Home. It’s for SO much more than rice! http://ow.ly/4aAnx Leave a comment below with a link to your post.
- Tweet this giveaway (1x daily) : Enter to win a fabulous Zojirushi Umami Micom Rice Cooker @busyathome. It’s for SO much more than rice! http://ow.ly/4aAnx #giveaway #review
Leave a comment below with a link to your tweet.
These are two rice cooker cookbooks, I own, that may be great resources for you and your family.….
I received a Zojirushi Umami™ Micom Rice Cooker, in order to test it and conduct this review. No monetary compensation was received and a positive review was not required. Zojirushi supplied technical info and specs, but as with all Busy-at-Home reviews, the opinions and views expressed are true and wholly my own.
This post is linked to Tasty Tuesday.