I have been testing a new addition to my cooking and baking tools – the OXO Egg Beater. I always loved getting the opportunity to use an egg beater, as a child. It just seemed so close to actually being grown up enough to use the real mixer! My ten-year-old and grandkids feel the same as I did back then. They stand just a little taller and feel so much more “grown up” when they can operate the egg beater on their own.
The difference between old time egg beaters and this ingenious new model from OXO are manifold:
- In the old days, egg beaters were all metal and difficult to clean and thoroughly dry, so it was common for the gears to get gunky or rusty and eventually just not function smoothly. With the OXO egg beater, the gears are encased in the handle, protecting them from splatters and you don’t immerse the handle in water, just wipe it down with a damp cloth.
The beaters can be removed and passed to chubby-fingered little fans, who have been waiting anxiously to lick them clean. Licking the beaters of old-fashioned egg beaters could have painful and dangerous consequences. No one wants to spin their tongue into metal beaters. Ouch! I love this great “sharing” feature of the OXO egg beater.
- Clean-up is easy as the beaters and the entire base can be removed and tossed into the dishwasher.
- The non-slip grip on the handle and the turning knob make operating the egg beater smooth and simple, whether you’re whipping eggs, cream or some other delicious treat.
- It’s also very cool that they have built a stainless steel bar across the bottom of the egg beater, that extends just below the beaters, holding them off the bottom of the bowl, without making your arms tired trying to hold it up. They thought of everything!
- It’s sturdy. Since being introduced to OXO products a few weeks ago, I am impressed with the quality and durability of the tools they offer for my kitchen and household. I anticipate getting many years of use from this high quality egg beater.
My intention was to definitely share a new and yummy recipe with you, in conjunction with this great giveaway. I used my new OXO Egg Beater to whip up 36 (yup! count them! 36!) eggs for a brand new recipe, Christmas Morning Breakfast Casserole for the crock pot. The egg beater was fabulous and whipped up all those eggs with ease, but alas, the recipe was an EPIC fail. 🙁 No Christmas casserole for you! -lol- But, no worries. I still have pictures of this nifty kitchen gadget in action. My ten-year-old has become a pudding-making fool, since she realized how easy it is to whip up with the egg beater! All you need to make a ten-year-old incredibly happy is 2 cups of cold whole milk and a box of his/her favorite flavor of instant pudding. Hand them the egg beater and smiles will abound!
I really think this is one of those kitchen tools you will find yourself reaching for on a daily basis. If you’re like me, you are constantly do a job that doesn’t really merit use of a bulky stand mixer, but would work better with a little extra oomph over straight mixing by hand. The OXO egg beater is perfect for those times. So, go grab one for your kitchen and make something delish, like a brownie pudding trifle and some fresh whipped cream to top it off.
Mmmmmmm……brownie.pudding.trifle.with.fresh.whipped.cream…..Talk to you later! 🙂 Oh snap! I got distracted., but I didn’t forget…
Win an OXO Egg Beater for your own kitchen by entering this easy giveaway! All you need to do is take a stroll through OXO’s website , and in a comment below, tell me which of their handy tools you would love to add to your collection in 2012. Then hit the DO IT and Enter buttons in the form below to register your entry and reveal extra entry options. The giveaway will end at midnight on Sunday, January 29, 2012.
I received an OXO Egg Beater to test it in my own kitchen and conduct this review. No monetary compensation was recieved and a positive review was not required. The views and opinions expressed are wholly my own.