Even if you’re not one of the crowd who celebrates Christmas in July, I KNOW you’re an organizational marvel and you plan and prep, well ahead of time, to get ready for holiday celebrations and fun. You’re just good like that. You can’t fool me. 🙂 This simple appetizer recipe for Tex-Mex Meatball Nachos is a winner for holiday celebrations! My family loves them so much, I have a hard time getting them to a serving tray, before they are gobbled up. As delicious as they are, my favorite thing about them is that I don’t have to spend hours in the kitchen prepping them.
When I plan dishes for our family’s traditional (strictly meaning OUR tradition, not that there’s anything traditional about our meal.) 🙂 Christmas Eve Build-Your-Own Ice Cream Sundae and Appetizers Supper, I want recipes for tasty treats that can be made ahead, get me in and out of the kitchen quickly and guarantee that my time is spent laughing and celebrating with the people I love, instead of being stuck watching the oven. I go ALL OUT for our Christmas dinner, so Christmas Eve needs to be easy, relaxing, and fun…not to mention delicious.
For more than 20 years, we have come home after Christmas Eve services, put out ice cream and every kind of topping known to man, and let the kids make their own ice cream sundaes, for supper. Just imagine chocolate syrup, caramel, whipped cream, berries, nuts, dripping ice cream scoops and sprinkles EVERYWHERE and you pretty much have the gist of it. :),
The tradition continues to this day, and now, even includes our grandkids. I couldn’t be more blessed! It only took a couple years, in the beginning, to realize we needed SOMETHING to balance out all that sugar, since emotions were already running high in anticipation of what was coming, the next morning. Easy appetizers was my solution.
Over the years, our unusual Christmas Eve supper has become as beloved a tradition for our family, as the “main event”, so I don’t want to miss a minute of the fun. Whether we’re watching a movie together, playing board games or just visiting, I want to be with my husband, kids and grandkids laughing and enjoying our time together. That’s why I’ve added these easy Tex-Mex Meatball Nachos to my recipe short-list. I think you and your family will absolutely love them!
With only six ingredients, I was in and out of Walmart in a snap, shopping to make this dish. The Farm Rich Original Meatballs that are the centerpiece of these flavorful, little mouthfuls are easy to find in the freezer section, there. In my local store, that’s aisle five with the frozen entrees and vegetables.
Just as fast as you found the ingredients, you’ll be able to put them all together, to whip up these tasty appetizers and get back to all the celebrating! (For those of you who like a “visual” of the recipe going together, be sure to check out the gif video, below.)
- 28 oz. bag Farm Rich Original Meatballs
- 1 pkg. Tostitos Scoops (Regular)
- 16 oz. bag Kraft Mexican-Style shredded cheese
- 8 oz. (1 cup) sour cream
- 16 oz. jar Pace Chunky salsa
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- optional for garnish: fresh chives, minced and fresh, ground black pepper
- Bake the meatballs according to package directions.
- Wash the Romaine lettuce leaves and chop or thinly slice the center, most tender, sweet leaves to get about 1 cup of chopped lettuce. (Save the large leaves for decorating a serving tray or to make a salad, later.)
- Mince about 2 Tablespoons of fresh chives.
- To assemble the nacho appetizers, set out the Tostitos Scoops, in rows, like mini taco salad bowls. I like to work on a cutting board or cookie sheet. That catches any drips or spills and then I can transfer the appetizers to a pristine serving tray.
- Place shredded lettuce in the bottom of each Scoop.
- Add a rounded teaspoon of salsa over the lettuce in each chip.
- Place a baked meatball, into the salsa, for each appetizer.
- Swirl a dollop of sour cream on top of each meatball.
- Sprinkle each appetizer with the shredded cheese.
- Add fresh chives and fresh black pepper, if desired.
- Arrange on a serving tray and enjoy!