Our Soda Stream Fountain Jet is almost three-years-old, now, and has just been blessed with a spiffy new big brother! The Soda Stream Fizz is sleek and modern with bright color options and a small footprint on my countertop. The glossy red profile adds a welcome splash of color in my kitchen. Plus, if you’ve read our previous review of Soda Stream and it’s products, it will come as no surprise that we love this new machine.
Like the Fountain Jet, the Fizz is sturdy, easy to operate and saves money and calories on our family’s favorite beverages, but it has another feature that is ingenious in my book! The Fizz monitors two things with a small digital readout at the top of the machine — the amount of carbonation being added to the drinks you’re making and the amount of carbonation still left in the tank. It’s an excellent addition to an already great product. I love being able to keep track of when my carbon tank is getting low, so I can reorder before I run out.
Another “something awesome” that has developed over the three years that we’ve been making Soda Stream carbonated beverages in our own kitchen, is that the machines, syrups, carbonation tanks and other supplies have become available at local retailers like Bed, Bath and Beyond; Hy-Vee, JCPenney, Kohls, Shopko, Target and more! You can still order online, directly from Soda Stream, but it’s definitely a quick, convenient option to be able to run to the store to stock-up in a hurry on extra flavors and carbonation tanks as we get ready for holiday festivities and entertaining.
The ease with which the machine is operated, means even the kids can offer their favorite soda flavors to their friends and make it up fresh. Our ten-year-old has operated the Fountain Jet for more than a year, now, and graduating to the Fizz was a piece of cake. The machine is operated in much the same way as our Fountain Jet, other than the location of the carbonating “button”, which is now a decorative bar around the front of the machine. Depress it to release the carbonation into your water, add the flavored syrup of your choice and enjoy fresh homemade soda in a matter of seconds! It’s fantastic!
The beauty of making my own soda at home with Soda Stream products is manifold:
- Making soda at home saves money over store-bought options. I try to always buy syrup flavors in bulk, which means I order at least 10 (mixing and matching the flavors we like) and every 10th bottle is free. The regular flavors we love are only $4.99 each and make the equivalent of 33 cans of soda. With every 10th free, that means I actually pay only $4.49 each, even if I don’t use a discount code, which I almost always do. (I do a Google search, using +”Soda Stream” +”promo code” in the search line, and generally come up with a list of coupon codes to choose from that will save money on my purchase.) And if I don’t find a coupon code that fits my order, I use my Soda Stream “bank points” from previous orders, which are accumulated on every order I make at SodaStream.com. So, either way, I spend less. But even without coupon codes, I still save money making our soda at home. Here’s a bit of a break down on the cost, without even using coupon codes.
- 33 cans at $4.49 breaks down to only .14 per can, if I round the fraction of a cent up. I can generally buy a 24-pack of name brand soda for $6.98, in our area. At .14 per can, the syrup for a 24-pack of Soda Stream soda would only be $3.36.
- My other expense in making the soda at home is the carbon tanks. For our large family, it makes the most sense to buy the larger 130 liter carbon tanks. The exchange tanks cost me just under $25 each when I order two or three at a time, to keep spares on hand. One of these tanks can carbonate up to 130 liters of water, but when I’m making soda for myself, I use more than my husband and kids, so let’s say I only get 100 liters per $25 tank, or .25 per liter. There are 33.8 oz in a liter, so each ounce of carbonated water costs me .00073 cents – not even a penny; then take that times the ounces in a regular 12 oz can and that’s still a little less than 1 cent per can.
- .14 per can for syrup and .01 per can for carbonation – That’s a total of .15 per can or $3.60 for a 24-pack (and that is without using a coupon code to save even more) — a fantastic savings over purchasing name brand soda at the store!
We’re excited to have our Soda Stream Fizz Soda Maker for the holidays! It will be ideal for entertaining over Thanksgiving and Christmas and a great idea for gift giving. Just think of the party punches, ice cream sodas and delicious holiday beverages that I can serve my family and guests when I have my own homemade soda, right at my fingertips. One lucky Busy-at-Home reader is going to get to add a Soda Stream Fizz Soda Maker to their kitchen appliances, too! As a matter of fact, Soda Stream is generously sponsoring the giveaway of a Soda Stream Fizz Soda Starter Kit, which contains:
- Fizz Home Soda Maker
- 1 60 liter Carbonator
- 1 Carbonating Bottle
- 3 SodaMix flavors (your choice) – each bottle makes 12 liters of soda
- a Sodamix Variety Sampler 12 pack
You must be 18 or older and a resident of the U.S. to enter. Mandatory Entry must be completed before any optional entries will count. Winner will be selected in a random drawing using random.org. Deadline to enter is midnight, (CST), Sunday, November 27, 2011. Winner will be notified by email and have 48 hours to respond with shipping information. After 48 hours, a new winner will be selected.
Visit Soda Stream and pick your favorite color of “Fizz” machine (scroll down the page to see pictures of the color options) and the three syrup flavors you would like to try if you win. Tell me what they are in a comment below.
Optional Additional Entries:
- Like Soda Stream on Facebook. Leave a comment below with your Facebook Name to let me know you’ve done it.
- Follow Soda Stream on Twitter. Leave a comment letting me know you’ve done it.
- Follow Busy-at-Home on Twitter. Leave a comment letting me know you’ve done it.
- Like Busy-at-Home on Facebook. Leave a comment letting me know you’ve done it.
- Follow Busy-at-Home on Google Friends Connect. (click the JOIN button in the right-hand sidebar.) Leave a comment letting me know you’ve done it.
- Subscribe to the Busy-at-Home Newsletter with this link or in the right-hand sidebar. You will receive an email confirmation with a link that must be clicked to confirm your subscription. Once you click the email link to confirm your subscription, leave me a comment to let me know you’ve done it.
- Tweet this giveaway (maximum of 1x per day, please). Win a fabulous Soda Stream Soda Maker & make delicious carbonated sodas in your own kitchen! @busyathome @sodastreamusa http://ow.ly/7tMWf Leave a comment below with a link to your tweet.
- Post this giveaway on your Facebook page. Enter to win a fabulous Soda Stream Soda Maker at Busy-at-Home & make delicious, refreshing, carbonated beverages in your own kitchen! http://ow.ly/7tMWf Leave a comment below with a link to your post.
I received a Soda Stream “Fizz” Soda Maker Starter Kit in order to evaluate the product and write this review. No monetary compensation was received and a positive review was not required. As always, at Busy-at-Home, the views and opinions expressed are wholly my own.