My husband and I are more in the “homegating” than tailgating crowd. He is an avid football fan and we tease him often that he is most passionate rooting for the underdog. This makes for some spirited gameday gatherings at our house; and whether it’s just he and I, the whole family or even friends and family invited to share the fun, I enjoy making food and snacks that I know he will enjoy as much as he loves the games. Chips and dips, cheeses, summer sausage and crackers, are his favorite easy-to-handle finger foods and I typically have it all on hand, along with a veggie tray and dip that I, secretly, hope will encourage him to broaden his tailgating/homegating palate. I like to have a sweet treat or two ready for gameday, too. Sweets are where I’m allowed a little more leeway to be creative and so that’s the one part of our homegating menu that can be different from week-to-week.
This week I created a recipe that incorporates his favorite candy bar, Snickers, into a delicious confection that would be as at home on a party buffet table or a holiday gift tray as it is amongst our homegating snacks. Mars has added a new size of Snickers and Milky Ways to their lineup. They’re called Bites and the wonderful bite-size candies are packaged in small bags and completely unwrapped which makes them great for “popping” and equally easy to incorporate into recipes.
You can use this coupon to try new Mars Bites, for yourself. The fun thing about this particular coupon is that if you share it on Facebook or Twitter or email it to at least three people, the value of the coupon will DOUBLE! Delicious and budget-friendly! That’s a good combination!
Here’s my delicious recipe for Snickers Cheesecake Truffles. Make them for your family’s next homegating party, or for a get-together with friends, or enjoy them all by yourself in a secret hideaway where no one can find you. 🙂 Sharing is definitely optional!
- 2 (7 oz) bags of Snickers Bites
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 9 graham crackers
- 1 (8 oz) block of cream cheese, softened
- 1 Tablespoon pure Madagascar Bourbon vanilla paste
- 1 (12 oz bag) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 - 2 teaspoons sea salt flakes
- Place butter and 25 Snickers Bites into a small saucepan and melt over low heat. Be sure to keep the heat low to allow time for sufficient melting without scorching the candy. By the time you complete the rest of the recipe, the candy will have melted.
- Place the graham crackers into a large ziptop bag. Push out the air and seal the bag.
- Use a rolling pin to crush the crackers and reduce them to fine crumbs.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese, graham cracker crumbs,and vanilla paste.
- Mix thoroughly to create a uniform truffle dough.
- Add the melted Snickers to the truffle dough.
- Stir to combine the melted candy with the truffle dough.
- Chop the rest of the Snickers Bites remaining in the 7 oz bag you took the first 25 from. I chopped them into quarters.
- Mix the chopped Snickers into the truffle dough.
- Refrigerate the dough for a few minutes, while you prepare to make the truffle coating.
- Open the second bag of Snickers Bites and slice 7 of the bites into slices (thirds).
- Put the semi-sweet chips in a microwave-safe bowl and set aside.
- Remove truffle dough from the refrigerator and form into uniformly-sized balls. I used a cookie scoop to measure out equal amounts of mine. This allowed me to shape 21 truffle centers, 20 of which actually survived to be dipped. :) They are so delicious!
- Place a sheet of parchment on a tray.
- Arrange the truffle balls on the tray and place in the freezer or refrigerator, to chill, while you melt the chocolate chips.
- Melt the chocolate chips in your microwave. I used full power and it took 1 minute and 45 seconds to get the right consistency for dipping the truffles. Check the chips every 15 seconds and stir until you get a nice creamy dip.
- Remove the truffle centers from the fridge and one-by-one, use a fork to dip and turn them in the chocolate. Allow the excess chocolate to fall through the tines of the fork.
- Place the coated truffles back on the parchment and arrange one slice of the Snickers bites atop each one.
- Sprinkle each truffle with a few flakes of the sea salt.
- Refrigerate to allow them time to set up.
- Serve chilled.
What are your favorite tailgating (or homegating) snacks? How would you incorporate the new Mars Bites into your options?