Hello, Wednesday – you seductive siren! I know you want to trip me up and overwhelm me in a flurry of busy-ness — so intent on getting errands and homework done, family fed, and everyone to the church by 6:15 pm, that you can lure me through the drive-thru, instead of making a healthy dinner for my family at home. But, this week, I’m ready for you. This week, I have a delicious plan for a healthy dinner using Ocean Naturals Skipjack Tuna. Served on whole grain rolls or in a lettuce wrap, these flavorful un-burgers are going to be a nutritious, quick-supper staple in our home.
So, how did YOUR Wednesday night busy-ness go? Did you end up “talking” to a day of the week? 🙂 Hopefully, you carried the conversation and won the skirmish! But no worries, even if you didn’t. I’ve recently discovered something that is going to be a big help! Have you seen Ocean Naturals on the shelves at your local Walmart? I was ecstatic to see yet another option in our small hometown, that I would previously have had to look for in a health food store in the city. Ocean Naturals Tuna is wild- and responsibly-caught. Ocean Naturals’ fishing practices are not only guaranteed dolphin safe, but they strive to harvest tuna from only healthy waters, in a manner that has the least possible impact on the surrounding ecosystem. When it comes to accountability, Ocean Naturals wants to be sure you can have 100% confidence in their products, as you use them for your family. At their website, you can enter the code printed on every can and learn the exact source of the tuna you are personally eating. I was shocked to see that I could not only determine the region in which “my” tuna was caught, but the name of the ship and the name of that ship’s captain! Which country’s flag the ship sails under is also listed and I was happy to see an American flag, meaning U.S. workers benefit from my purchase.
Ocean Naturals offers two varieties of tuna — skipjack and albacore, which are processed and canned without fillers or unpronounceable ingredients. (The ingredients on the can I am looking at, this very minute, are: skipjack tuna, water and salt.) Each is 100% the variety listed on the can and I was incredibly pleased with the quality of the product. It’s been almost two years since I purchased canned tuna in our grocery store, as we have had terrible luck with the quality. I always bought name brands and usually albacore, and yet, in recent history the quality of that tuna has so diminished that I simply quit bringing it home. Opening the cans was usually so disappointing, as I typically found a large clump of minced fish packed in there, rather than the large, firm chunks of tuna meat I had anticipated. Over the last week or two, experimenting with different dishes and recipes, I have had occasion to open six cans of Ocean Naturals. Every can yielded the gorgeous chunks of meat I was expecting. It truly was a premium, high-quality product, each time I tried it. The Ocean Naturals message is “Good, Good for You, Good for the Planet” and, in my opinion, they certainly live up to it.
So how do you put a creative spin on canned tuna, when you’re in a hurry, without heavy mayo or cheese? Skipjack Tuna Un-Burgers, of course! Hope you like this recipe as much as my hungry bunch! They even grabbed the leftovers, cold out of the fridge, as a late-night snack – no rolls or toppings needed. I, also, think this recipe could be shaped into smaller patties and made into fabulous “sliders” for a party or into meatballs and served as appetizers for hungry guests. Get creative with it and let me know any new ideas you come up with. Enjoy!
- 1 (6 oz) can Ocean Naturals Skipjack Tuna
- 1 medium carrot, finely grated
- 2 Tablespoons onion, finely minced
- 1 Tablespoon fresh parsley, finely minced
- ⅔ cup plain yogurt
- ⅔ cup Italian Panko bread crumbs
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2 Tablespoons butter or coconut oil
- Drain tuna and break apart in medium mixing bowl.
- Mix in the lemon zest. (Fresh lemon zest adds brightness and another delicious layer of flavor.)
- Stir in the grated carrot.
- Add the onions and parsley. (Elevate the taste of your recipes with the lightness and freshness of fresh, whole food ingredients and you will experience the delicious flavors of your favorite dishes in a whole new way.)
- Add yogurt and Panko.
- Stir to combine.
- Heat butter in medium saute pan over medium heat.
- Shape tuna mixture into 5 patties.
- Place the patties in the hot butter and cook over medium heat until browned on one side.
- Turn the patties and continue cooking until heated through and browned on the second side.
- Serve on your favorite whole grain rolls or in a lettuce wrap with burger toppings of your choice. (These can actually be a little delicate (soft) when you first remove them from the pan, but they get firmer and firmer, as they cool. I made two batches and the ones that were left over were stored in the fridge. For lunch the next day, my kids were grabbing them cold, straight from the fridge and eating them with no bun.)
- (I tossed together diced tomato, onion and parsley with a little lemon juice and scooped them over a small dollop of plain yogurt, but mayo, bbq sauce or other condiments would work, too.)
Fast and light, affordable, but high quality — you really can have all of it in a simple, nutritious meal that features Ocean Naturals tuna! Be sure to visit their Facebook page to learn even more about the company and their products, plus you won’t want to miss their Tuna Tuesdays Facebook Giveaway!
And if you’re interested in more delicious recipes, featuring wild, premium tuna from Ocean Naturals, don’t miss ourPinterest board, loaded with ideas!