In April, Seneca Farms, released a new product to help encourage kids and their parents to eat a healthy breakfast. Understanding the crazy, hectic schedules most families battle in the morning, Seneca Farms set out to provide a product that let people have a quick, easy option for a warm, healthy breakfast. Their solution was Seneca Farms Oatmeal & Fruit, a pre-made hot cereal with fruit included. No water or milk is necessary and it only takes 45 seconds to heat in the microwave. I can definitely see how this would be a huge convenience in small families, where breakfast is usually skipped. Getting something in a student’s stomach, in the morning, helps to ensure they are ready to start their day, thinking clearly and working at their healthy best on their schoolwork.
Our family tried two flavors of the Oatmeal & Fruit — Vanilla Peach and Apple Cinnamon. We liked both of them okay, though none of us felt they were “really, really good”. The texture was not as pleasing as homemade. It was cooked through, but certainly not creamy. Being a large family who can make an entire pot of creamy, delicious oatmeal in about 15 minutes, each morning, our view of this product is somewhat mixed. First of all, everyone felt the portions were too small. I’m sure even my pre-school grandchildren would need two individual cups to fill them up. Also, each cup needs to be microwaved for 45 seconds, which is no big deal if you are fixing one cup each for only one or two people. However, if your family members will need two cups to be full, and like us, you have quite a few mouths to feed, the time required to heat each cup means you could really have just made a quick pot of oatmeal in about the same amount of time and saved a substantial amount of money, not to mention unnecessary packaging in the landfill. The oatmeal cups come in two-packs, which means for a large family, you will need to buy quite a few.
My final opinion on the product is that for families who aren’t eating breakfast because they think they don’t have time and have only a couple people to feed, Seneca Farms Oatmeal & Fruit may be a very convenient option, that gets them into the healthy habit of eating something in the mornings. For a family our size, however, that weighs every convenience against the available budget, this would not be a product we normally purchase.
What about your family — do you eat breakfast in the mornings? What are your favorite morning meals? How do you stretch your budget to include healthy options that can be prepared and eaten in a hurry?
One Busy-at-Home reader will win a 2-pack of each flavor (Vanilla Peach and Apple Cinnamon) of Seneca Farms Oatmeal & Fruit.
You must be 18 or older and a US resident to enter. Mandatory entry must be completed before any optional entries will be counted. Winner will be selected in a random drawing using random.org. Deadline for entry is midnight (CST), Sunday, July 31, 2011.
In a comment below, answer any two of these questions:
- What about your family — do you eat breakfast in the mornings?
- What are your favorite morning meals?
- How do you stretch your budget to include healthy options that can be prepared and eaten in a hurry?
Optional Additional Entries:
- Like Seneca Farms on Facebook. Leave a comment letting me know you’ve done it.
- Follow Seneca Farms on Twitter. Leave a comment letting me know you’ve done it.
- Follow Busy-at-Home on Twitter. Leave a comment letting me know you’ve done it.
- Like Busy-at-Home on Facebook. Leave a comment letting me know you’ve done it.
- Follow Busy-at-Home on Google Friends Connect by clicking the Join Button in the right-hand side bar. Leave a comment letting me know you’ve done it.
- Subscribe to the Busy-at-Home Newsletter with this link or in the right-hand sidebar. You will receive an email confirmation with a link that must be clicked to confirm your subscription. Once you click the email link to confirm your subscription, leave me a comment to let me know you’ve done it.
- Tweet this giveaway (maximum of 1x per day, please). Win two 2-packs of Seneca Farms Fruit and Oatmeal (VanillaPeach & AppleCinnamon) @busyathome @SenecaFarms #momsparkmedia http://ow.ly/5Ljww Leave a comment below with a link to your tweet.
I was provided the opportunity to review and test two 2-packs of Seneca Farms Fruit and Oatmeal through Mom Spark Media. No monetary compensation was received and a positive review was not required. As always at Busy-at-Home, the views and opinions expressed are wholly my own.