This is not your grandma’s Scrabble. It’s fast-paced fun and an excellent tool for helping kids to understand phonics and spelling. Whether we are using it as a board game, just for fun, or as a tool during a homeschool Language Arts lesson, this excellent game from Hasbro is a Top Ten pick for this mama! I love, love, love everything about it. How do I love it? Let me count the ways 🙂 :
- It is compact and self-contained. This little powerhouse of learning fun is only 7 ½” x 3 ¼” and it’s less than 2″ high. It will fit in the glove compartment, your purse, the drawer of your side table or any other small out of the way space you can imagine. It has a built-in drawer that holds everything you need to play the game — the cards. No big, awkward cardboard boxes to fall apart–no ten thousand tiny pieces to keep track of and suck up in the vacuum after the box has fallen apart. Scrabble Turbo Slam has a durable, hard plastic case that IS the game and CONTAINS the game. Perfection!
- The game is simple to play and involves just enough “technology” and action to keep students interested. Plus, games don’t last longer than the attention-span of the players. You can start and finish a game in one sitting and do it comfortably.
- I can use it as a teaching tool in our school lessons, following the game rules, or just using the cards to reinforce reading, phonics and spelling concepts.
- The game is inexpensive. It comes in at only $14.95 on Amazon and my guess is you will see great bargains on it, as the holidays approach.
- Visit the Family Game Night page to print coupons worth $80 off various Hasbro games. You can save $5 off Scrabble Turbo Slam. That’s a fabulous, frugal deal for hours of family fun and learning!
- Family members of all ages can play together.
- It is totally portable. This will be a great way to pass the time and keep up on a little schoolwork as we make a long roadtrip in October.
To play the game, four cards are laid on the table, spelling out any random word desired. The rest of the cards are dealt out evenly amongst the players. Press the button on the game console and raucous game play begins! Playing only one card at a time, each player changes a letter to make a new word, calling out the word as they do. There is no waiting for turns. Players play their cards as quickly as possible, making new words and emptying their hands. The player to use all their cards, first, is the winner.
The electronic console allows for a few game twists along the way. A loud signal buzzes at random intervals and the first player to hit the Turbo Slam button, draws an action card that can have them getting rid of cards or gaining cards. There is background music available, as well, which can be completely shut off. Players can challenge a word, just like in regular Scrabble and even consult a dictionary if they aren’t sure.
With or without the console, these double-sided playing cards (They have a different letter on each side.) are a phenomenal tool for teaching! They can be used to teach phonics blends and short words to beginning readers, even in short three-letter words.
We easily use the game cards for spelling and vocabulary practice with five or more cards. Watch how easily changing one letter makes a new word. Suddenly, spelling doesn’t seem as complicated and new vocabulary will be more readily recognized in reading, when students have spelled it out and manipulated it in this game. They see the cards (visual learning), they hear the word spoken (auditory learning), they change the cards (kinesthetic learning). Each of these actions helps to “cement” what is being learned into memory. Perfect!
One of you awesome readers is going to win a Scrabble Turbo Slam for your own family. Just enter the giveaway, below, for your chance to win.
You must be 18 or older and a resident of the U.S. to enter. Mandatory Entry must be completed before any optional entries will count. Winner will be selected in a random drawing using random.org. Deadline to enter is midnight, (CST), Sunday, October 9, 2011.
Optional Additional Entries:
- Like Hasbro Games (Family Game Night) on Facebook. Leave a comment below with your Facebook name to let me know you’ve done it.
- Follow Hasbro Games (Family Game Night) on Twitter. Leave a comment below with your Twitter handle to let me know you’ve done it.
- Follow Busy-at-Home on Twitter. Leave a comment letting me know you’ve done it.
- Like Busy-at-Home on Facebook. Leave a comment letting me know you’ve done it.
- Follow Busy-at-Home on Google Friends Connect. (click the JOIN button in the right-hand sidebar.) Leave a comment letting me know you’ve done it.
- Subscribe to the Busy-at-Home Newsletter with this link or in the right-hand sidebar. You will receive an email confirmation with a link that must be clicked to confirm your subscription. Once you click the email link to confirm your subscription, leave me a comment to let me know you’ve done it.
- Tweet this giveaway (maximum of 1x per day, please). Win Scrabble Turbo Slam! Technology meets board game = family fun & education with a twist! @busyathome @familygamenight http://ow.ly/6z6fL Leave a comment below with a link to your tweet.
- Post this giveaway on your Facebook page. Win Scrabble Turbo Slam! Technology meets board game = family fun & education with a twist! @busyathome @familygamenight http://ow.ly/6z6fL Leave a comment below with a link to your post.
I received Scrabble Turbo Slam, in order to test it and complete this review. No monetary compensation was received and a positive review was not required. As with all Busy-at-Home reviews, the views and opinions expressed are wholly my own.