Good dental habits can save your family time and money, in the long run. Instilling these good habits in your children will provide them a lifetime of good oral health AND set them on a common sense frugal path, as well.
- Electric toothbrushes are a good value over time. They prevent brushing “too hard” which can wear away enamel (leaving teeth unprotected from decay) and can cause bleeding gums. It isn’t necessary to scrub and press hard when using an electric toothbrush, so these problems which can lead to extra dental bills are more easily avoided.
- Manual toothbrushes simply cannot be made to achieve the number of strokes an electric toothbrush can reach in only a couple of minutes. The sheer volume of brush strokes means the likelihood of your children doing a good and thorough job cleaning their teeth is much stronger with an electric toothbrush, than with a manual.
- Using rechargeable batteries or an electric toothbrush that has a charging stand is a cost effective way to have the benefits of an electric toothbrush without a big expense to power it.
- Electric toothbrushes used to be costly, luxury items, however there are many options, today, that are not much more than a manual toothbrush for the initial purchase and have replacement heads that are the same cost as a manual. The superior cleaning results make them a great value, in spite of the initial one-time investment.
- Floss. I know, it seems like such a pain to teach kids to do this, but once they can do it correctly, the protection it affords their teeth will be an incalculable savings in your budget. Floss will get into places a brush doesn’t go. It removes plaque and build up, even just below the gumline. It’s an important skill and habit. For tips on proper flossing, visit this tutorial on the American Dental Hygienists Association site. Teach your kids to floss, right before brushing, for the cleanest mouth and healthiest smile.
- Watch for sales and coupons on your favorite brands. Our family loves the Arm and Hammer SpinBrush electric toothbrush options. Right now, you can receive $4 off their Sonic Spinbrush Rechargeable! I love high value coupons!
Good dental habits for yourself and your children, today, will save money for your family in unnecessary dental bills for a lifetime. Those same good habits will also save the time that is necessary to correct problems that only a dentist can fix in a lengthy appointment at the office. Invest time and money wisely, now, and you and your kids can have happy, healthy smiles always!
This is a sponsored post for Church & Dwight Co., Inc, the maker of ARM & HAMMER branded products, who is compensating me to try different products. Get a $4.00 coupon for ARM & HAMMER Spinbrush then head over to The Switch & Save Challenge where you can enter to win $25,000.