This shop has been compensated by Sverve and its advertisers. All opinions are mine alone. #ThisIsMyTwist
Thanksgiving and Christmas will be here in a blink and one of the traditional dishes that my family cannot celebrate without is Green Bean Casserole. The creamy, savory mushroom sauce coats delicious canned green beans and the whole dish is covered in crunchy fried onions for gorgeous color and wonderful texture. It just wouldn’t be a complete holiday dinner without this classic dish.
My challenge for this post was to put my own twist on Green Bean Casserole and I decided to go way outside the box! After all, anyone could add bacon or sliced mushrooms, or even sliced water chestnuts to dress up this classic side dish. And, every one of those options sounds absolutely delicious to me. But, what if I could change the side dish to become the entire meal? Can green bean casserole become a main dish? You bet it can and it is SO simple! I made Sausage Potato and Green Bean Casserole. The same savory, deliciousness you would expect, made a little heartier with baby yellow potatoes and sliced rope sausage. My family flipped for this warm, comfort-food supper and it’s quick and easy to assemble, so it’s definitely going to become a regular in my menu rotation.
All the traditional ingredients, plus a couple surprises of my own, made this a whole new dish that will go down as a family favorite meal. I used two varieties of Campbell’s® Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup, as well as Del Monte® Green Beans and French’s® Crispy Fried Onions, plus the milk and soy sauce called for in the original recipe. I altered the amounts just a bit and added baby yellow potatoes, smoked sausage and sour cream. Oh what a delicious combination!
Start by scrubbing and quartering the yellow potatoes and then slice the smoked sausage into 1/4-inch rounds. I was cooking for a crowd when I prepped this and the recipe made 15-18 servings, so you will see in the photos that I mixed it in my 12×18 sheet cake pan. You could cut the recipe in half for smaller groups and just use a regular 9×13 pan or simply use two 9×13 pans for the whole recipe, if you don’t own a sheet cake pan.
Once you have everything stirred together, bake the casserole in a 350 degree oven, sprinkling the fried onions over the top in the last 5 minutes of baking.
Serve this delicious meal to your friends and family and enjoy the praise and admiration for your culinary skills! The flavor is extraordinary for a meal that was so quick and easy to put together! Enjoy!
- 3 lbs. baby yellow potatoes, quartered
- 2 lbs of smoked sausage, sliced in ¼-inch slices
- 2 cans (10.5 oz. each) Campbell’s® Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 2 cans (10.5 oz. each) Campbell’s® Condensed Cream of Chicken and Mushroom Soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups milk
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 4 cans (14.5 oz. each) any style Del Monte® Green Beans, drained
- 2 (6 oz) canisters French’s® Crispy Fried Onions
- Scrub and quarter the potatoes and put into 12 x 18 baking pan or divide between (2) 9x13 pans. Slice the sausage into ¼" slices and add to the potatoes.
- Drain the green beans and add them to the pan.
- Add the soups, milk, soy sauce and one can of the onions.
- Stir everything together.
- Bake at 350°F, uncovered, for 55 min. or until potatoes are fork-tender and the dish is hot and bubbling. Stir the casserole. Sprinkle with remaining can of onions.
- Bake for an additional 5 minutes or until onions are golden brown.
Next time you’re in Walmart, go look at the screens by the green bean casserole display at the end of the aisle. Walmart is picking the best of the “twisted” ideas to share in their stores! If you see mine, let me know with a post or a tweet! Make sure to go to thisismytwist.com to see everyone’s suggested twists!
If you liked this recipe, be sure to register for my FREE weekly newsletter, 7-Ingredient Suppers,
and get exclusive recipes for subscribers only, that you can prep with 7 ingredients or less on busy weeknights! You won’t want to miss a single issue!
I want to know what you think about Green Bean Casserole! If you take the 10 Minute Survey you will be receiving a $5 Walmart gift card if you are one of the first 100 people that fully completes the survey (U.S. citizens only, must be 18 years or older to participate).