Gold Medal has a brand new WHITE whole wheat flour. If you’ve been reading my blog for long, you already know that white is the only whole wheat flour I can get my husband to eat and my first choice when I bake bread. White whole wheat flour is NOT bleached. It’s whole grain flour milled from a lighter colored variety of wheat, white spring wheat, as opposed to winter red wheat. Products made with it bake up lighter in color, and also in texture, than ones baked with traditional whole wheat flours. I had a great time testing this new product in my own kitchen and while I typically have not used whole wheat flour in any baking other than bread, after my experience with this recipe, I will be mixing it into many more of my family’s favorites.
If you’re looking for a dessert recipe that epitomizes the flavors of fall, Pumpkin Spice Bars is it. For these delicious bars, I used the recipe from Gold Medal, pretty much, as is. I did add a teaspoon of vanilla to the cake batter and I always buy 8 oz blocks of cream cheese, so I just cut one in half, rather than measuring out exactly 3 oz for the frosting. It worked perfectly.
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 (15 oz) can pumpkin puree
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- ¼ teaspoon cloves
- 1 (3 oz) pkg. cream cheese (or ½ an 8 oz block)
- ⅓ cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Beat eggs, sugar, oil and pumpkin with electric mixer, until smooth.
- Mix in dry ingredients.
- Spread batter in greased 15x10 pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes. Cool bars completely before icing.
- To make frosting, beat cream cheese, butter vanilla and powdered sugar until smooth and creamy.
If you win Gold Medal’s very generous giveaway, your prize will be the cookie jar pictured, above, a coupon for a FREE 5 pound bag of Gold medal’s new white whole wheat flour and a set of recipe cards that includes even more delicious recipes like the Pumpkin Spice Bars.
You must be 18 or older and a resident of the U.S. to enter. Mandatory Entry must be completed before any optional entries will count. Winner will be selected in a random drawing using random.org. Deadline to enter is midnight, (CST), Sunday, October 9, 2011.
In a comment below, tell me your very favorite dessert to bake for fall.
Optional Additional Entries:
- Like Betty Crocker on Facebook. Leave a comment below with your Facebook Name to let me know you’ve done it.
- Follow Betty Crocker on Twitter. Leave a comment below with your Twitter handle to let me know you’ve done it.
- Follow Busy-at-Home on Twitter. Leave a comment letting me know you’ve done it.
- Like Busy-at-Home on Facebook. Leave a comment letting me know you’ve done it.
- Follow Busy-at-Home on Google Friends Connect. (click the JOIN button in the right-hand sidebar.) Leave a comment letting me know you’ve done it.
- Subscribe to the Busy-at-Home Newsletter with this link or in the right-hand sidebar. You will receive an email confirmation with a link that must be clicked to confirm your subscription. Once you click the email link to confirm your subscription, leave me a comment to let me know you’ve done it.
- Tweet this giveaway (maximum of 1x per day, please). Win a cookie jar, recipe cards and FREE flour! Recipe for yummy Pumpkin Spice Bars @BettyCrocker @busyathome #myblogspark http://ow.ly/6yUzO Leave a comment below with a link to your tweet.
- Post this giveaway on your Facebook page. Win a cookie jar, recipe cards and FREE flour! Recipe for yummy Pumpkin Spice Bars @BettyCrocker @busyathome #myblogspark http://ow.ly/6yUzO Leave a comment below with a link to your post.
I received the products listed above, through My Blog Spark, in order to test them in my kitchen and complete this review. No monetary compensation was received and a positive review was not required. As with all Busy-at-Home reviews, the views and opinions expressed are wholly my own.