Only Five Simple Ingredients!
This creamy, delicious salad has only FIVE ingredients, plus boiling water. It’s easy to make, but you’ll want to plan ahead since it needs to be made the day before. Mandarin Orange Tapioca Salad is smooth and pudding-like, but is studded with little tapioca pearls to create a palate-pleasing texture. Cool and citrusy, it’s a wonderful, almost palate-cleansing treat alongside heavier holiday dishes.
This recipe is one of my most often requested for family get-togethers or potlucks. I’ve been making it for more than 2o years and if I even suggest trying something new, it’s high treason! lol It wouldn’t be Thanksgiving or Christmas, for our kids and grandkids, if this wasn’t on our table. To say it’s always a hit doesn’t seem emphatic enough. It’s the happy truth, though. i hope it can become one of your family’s favorite traditions too!
- 3 (3 oz) boxes orange gelatin
- 3 (3 oz) boxes vanilla pudding mix (cook & serve NOT instant)
- 3 (3 oz) boxes tapioca pudding mix (IMPORTANT: plain pearl tapioca will NOT work. It must be cook & serve tapioca pudding mix and the only brand I have ever seen is Jell-O.)
- 2 cups mandarin orange segments, drained
- 1 (8 oz) tub of Cool Whip (I have never tried homemade whipped cream in this salad, but my suspicion is that it would not hold up in this recipe, changing the texture dramatically.)
- 8 cups water
- Empty all 9 boxes of gelatin and pudding mix into a large saucepan.
- Add the water and begin dissolving the mixes by cooking over medium heat. Stir constantly to prevent scorching and to make sure all ingredients dissolve.
- Continue cooking (Can take anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes) and stirring until mixture begins to boil and thicken. Consistency will be like soft pudding.
- Cool for about half an hour and then pour the thickened mixture into a container with a lid and store in the refrigerator, overnight, or for at least 8 hours.
- When the pudding/gelatin mixture has firmly set, overnight, add the mandarin oranges and Cool Whip, stirring to incorporate them completely.
- Chill the mixed salad for another 30 minutes or so.
- Serve and enjoy!