Given the opportunity to try King Arthur Flour’s brand new private label Baking Cocoa and Pure Vanilla, I was in the mood to make something completely new, but as satisfying as an old tried and true recipe. It needed to be something really special, because if King Arthur is willing to put their own name on a product, there’s no question it is top of the line. I was hoping to make something where the high quality ingredients would be highlighted and used to their best potential. Hmmm… I wonder what would happen if I tried to make layer bars with my favorite brownie batter as the base? Deliciousness!!! That’s what!
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup cocoa
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1½ cups shredded coconut
- 1½ cups pecans, halves or chopped
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- Gather brownie batter ingredients.
- Gather topping layer ingredients. (I realize there are 2 cans of the sweetened condensed milk in the picture, but as the recipe came together, I decided to only use one.)
- Mix melted butter and cocoa.
- Add sugar.
- Mix in eggs and vanilla.
- Add flour and salt and mix until incorporated.
- Spread batter in greased 9×13 pan.
- Sprinkle shredded coconut over the brownie batter.
- For the next layer, add the pecans.
- Sprinkle butterscotch chips over the pecans.
- In the final layer, sprinkle the chocolate chips over the butterscotch.
- Drizzle the sweetened condensed milk over the whole pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes. The sweetened condensed milk will be browning and bubbly around the edges of the pan.
As expected, the King Arthur Pure Vanilla and Baking Cocoa put this recipe over the top! Since my daughter’s wedding last April, when I did all the cakes, I have used only Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla. Now that I can buy it with King Arthur’s own label, I know I’ll never be disappointed with the quality and the flavor it produces in my recipes. King Arthur’s Pure Vanilla is actually an amazingly fragrant and delicious blend of full-bodied Madagascar Bourbon vanilla beans and fruity, floral Tahitian vanilla beans. It’s gluten-free and it’s more concentrated than ordinary vanilla extracts.
King Arthur’s All Purpose Baking Cocoa is their own exclusive blend of natural cocoa; the rich body of Dutch-process cocoa; and the deep-dark color of black cocoa. It can be used interchangeably in recipes that call for natural cocoa and for those calling for Dutch-process. The depth of chocolate flavor I achieved using it was a real treat!
I received samples of King Arthur’s Pure Vanilla and All Purpose Baking cocoa in order to test them in my own kitchen and write this review. No monetary compensation was received and a positive review was not required. The views and opinions expressed are wholly my own and based on my personal experience.