This is the post that never ends. It goes on and on my friends…. lol That’s the song that came to mind as I started editing pictures for this fabulous giveaway from Brother and my tutorial for “twirly” skirts and their matching flower hair clips. After whittling it down to 42 pictures and still having a couple more to edit, I decided that I was definitely going to need to do a rewrite and split this over a post or two or three. Today, I’m just going to introduce you to my new Brother CS6000i and launch the giveaway. Thursday or Friday, I should be able to have the “Twirly” Skirts tutorial done.
There’s no describing the happy dance that took place when the Brother CS6000i arrived on my front steps. (No neighbors were frightened or scandalized in the performing of said dance.) I’ve actually been using a Brother sewing machine for years. This upgrade to a computerized machine has me inspired to take my sewing skills out of what I like to call the “utilitarian” range and really save money and get creative with some household decorating and new clothes. (I’m making myself the cutest new top, right now. Can’t wait to show you!) I have a LOT of plans for new curtains, as well as bed and kitchen linens, for this spring. I’m also going to try my hand at making Roman shades. I feel so much more confident tackling these bigger projects with my new machine. The range of features allows me so many more possibilities!
When I unpacked the box, I did a quick inventory of everything that’s included. It was sort of like Christmas all over, again!
The machine has a built-in free arm, so it’s easy to sew sleeves and cuffs. It’s simple to set it up by removing the flatbed attachment, which has a great storage compartment inside. When I opened it, I found this vinyl bag with more accessories!
When you sew, do you find you are always reaching for your scissors to snip a piece of thread, but your scissors are on the ironing board or the cutting table or wherever the last place you used them is? One of the things I love about the Brother CS6000i is something I wasn’t even aware it had. There are cutting blades embedded safely throughout multiple areas of the machine! Of course, there is the standard cutter mounted on the left side of the machine, but there are others, too.
I love the drop-in bobbin case and the fact that there is an automatic needle threader, which has really become an issue for these over-forty eyes. Threading this machine is a cinch and no magnifying glass is required! There are so many things I love about this machine, it will take many posts and demonstrations to share them all with you, but let me give you a short list of some of the best:
- There are 60, pre-programmed stitches, available at the touch of a button! Everything from stretch stitches and smocking, to applique, decorative embroidery and quilting stitches. There are TWO different overlock stitches which I have been using with great excitement! All my seam finishes make my projects look like they came off the rack at the store, now!
- The overlock presser foot! I mentioned, above, that I have been putting a professional polish on my seam finishes and using the overlock stitch options on the CS6000i. This is simple and possible because an overlock presser foot comes as part of the standard equipment with this machine!
- Low, medium and high speed slide lever! Adjust your machine’s speed according to the project and the seamstress. I am so excited that my beginning 4-H sewers will be able to work at low until their confidence and skill builds. I also like that I can adjust this to better fit what I’m sewing. No more accidentally sending the motor racing on small, tedious projects where I need to creep along at a snail’s pace. But, when I am sewing curtains or bed linens with lots of long, straight seams, I can slide the speed to high and move along at a remarkable pace. Whatever speed you select is the top speed for the machine, no matter how far the foot controller is depressed. Genius!
- The machine has a special zipper foot and zipper stitch. Putting in zippers has not been one of my favorite things or strongest skills and this will make it so much easier. Incidentally, that brings me to another thing I love about the CS6000i.
- I don’t just have to just figure it out on my own, when there is an accessory or process I am not familiar with or confident about. The manual included with the machine is detailed, clear and full of pictures. It gives brief, precise commands that a busy mom can truly appreciate. Attach zigzag foot ‘J’. Select stitch #3. Lower the presser foot. Sew slowly without stretching the fabric. etc., etc.
- The CS6000i sewing machine has a 25 YEAR limited parts warranty!!!!
- The machine is lightweight and incredibly easy to transport wherever I need to use it.
- It’s a powerhouse of features at an affordable price whether you’re a beginner, a medium-skilled seamstress, like me, or a pro! Brother’s MSRP is $349 and it’s worth every penny, but for all you budget-conscious seamstresses, I know you’ll love that Amazon has this beauty on sale for only $159.99 and FREE shipping! It will be one of your best frugal investments!
Most of what I love about this very modern, computerized and super versatile machine is going to be so much easier to just SHOW you. There will be several tutorials over the next days and weeks that will highlight and show you how to use some of the awesome features and accessories. The first ones will be for these adorable “twirly” skirts, I made for our granddaughters (You don’t even need a pattern!) and the matching fabric flower hair clips. You’ll love it!
In the meantime, lets get this GIVEAWAY off to a good start. The mandatory entry is simple. In a comment, below, tell me the first thing you would make if you win the Brother CS6000i! That’s it. Then just click that DO IT button, then Enter and you’ll unlock all the other optional entries to increase your chances of winning the drawing.
I received a Brother CS6000i in order to test it and conduct this review. No monetary compensation was received and a positive review was not required. As with all Busy-at-Home reviews, the views and opinions expressed are wholly my own and based on my personal experience with the product.