!I can’t believe how many times a week I reach for this handy tool and how I managed before I had it. I’m guessing I was a lot more content with uneven slices or just skipping recipes that called for too much slicing. I definitely didn’t make chips of any kind for our family, because the slicing was way too tedious. I don’t have that excuse any longer and my family has enjoyed homemade sweet potato chips (recipe below), zucchini chips, and my Potachos several times. Not to mention, salads just look beautiful and inviting with the perfectly sliced veggies tossed in. Today, we’re making delicious, crispy Homemade Sweet Potato Chips
I’m a huge fan of OXO and their products for the kitchen and home. Wait! Don’t say it! I’ve already heard it, before. They’re a little more expensive than other brands and I’m about saving money everywhere I can, so how do I justify the cost? Here’s a frugal mom’s secret that you need to consider. Sometimes, the cheapest isn’t the best value! When my husband works, he needs tools that are durable, long-term. Tools that can do the job efficiently and effectively, every. single. time. without. fail. Tools that won’t need to be replaced multiple times a year. If he spends $60 on a tool that lasts ten years, instead of $19.99 on one that ends up not being able to do the job or breaks and needs replaced multiple times in that same ten year span, the $60 tool was a much better value than the $19.99 one and saved our family time and money, in the long-run.
Cooking and caring for our family and home is what I do. The tools I use need to be of a quality that means they are a long-term good value, help me do my job efficiently and won’t strand me in the middle of preparing a meal with a broken product I need to run out and replace. That’s why I love OXO! The high quality of their products means I get TOP value for every dollar I spend and that’s important to our family’s long-term savings goals. So, given Brand Y and Brand X for noodles or toothbrushes or green beans, you bet — I’ll pick the cheapest one every time, but when it comes to tools, I want the highest quality, best value my dollar can buy, even if it means saving up for a little while. I can count on that kind of value every time with OXO tools. This fantastic, handheld mandoline was no exception! You’re going to LOVE it!
What are some of my favorite features of this handy-dandy kitchen tool?
- My slicing work is finished in a fraction of the time.
- The blade height can be adjusted for slices in 3 thicknesses.
- The mandoline is clear, so I can see through it to my slices, below.
- I can use it to slice over my cutting board or a plate; or I can use the lip at the end to hook it over the edge of a bowl.
- The food holder protects hands, is comfortable to use and is easy to grip. It also serves as a blade cover when the mandoline is stored.
- I can set the blade height to LOCKED 9indicated by a little padlock), meaning it is flush with the surface of the mandoline and much less likely to allow someone to cut themselves while it is not in use. That, coupled with the fact that the food holder also acts as a blade cover, makes it one of the safest mandolines I’ve ever used.
- It’s strong. I have another mandoline, of a different brand, that was MUCH more expensive and the blade heights do not stay in place well, causing a lot of difficulty and wasted time in trying to get things cut. I’m really impressed with how solid this little mandoline is and very excited that the slice thickness I select, is the one that I get, until I move the blade.
- The nice, rubberized non-slip handle, knob and foot make this an easy to grip and comfortable to use tool.
- It’s completely dishwasher safe.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
I received an OXO Handheld Mandoline to test in my own kitchen and gather information to write this review. No monetary compensation was received and a positive review was not required. As with all Busy-at-Home reviews, the views and opinions expressed are wholly my own and based on my personal experience with the product.