Will you be bringing meat and cheese trays to get-togethers over the holiday season? This Homemade Beef Summer Sausage recipe will help you save money and wow your guests with a delicious alternative to greasy, pre-packaged sausages. You’ll be hard-pressed to ever buy another one of those “logs-o-meat” after indulging in this simple and delicious treat! This recipe was passed to me by my mom, who got it from my Aunt Joyce. It is a snacking tradition in our home from Thanksgiving through New Years. I hope you will enjoy it with your family, too!
(The pictures on this post show me tripling the recipe.)
Aunt Joyce’s Homemade Summer Sausage
Yield: (2) 1 lb. rolls
- 2 lb. ground beef or ground turkey (We prefer it with very lean ground beef, but have successfully used turkey, too.)
- 2 Tablespoons Morton Tender Quick Salt (I buy this at Wal-Mart in the baking aisle. It’s for curing meat & it is definitely not regular table salt.)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (I usually omit this pepper and increase the peppercorns to 1 Tablespoon)
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seed
- 2 teaspoons coarsely ground peppercorns ( I usually increase this to 1 Tablespoon)
- 2 teaspoons. liquid smoke
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- Combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly. Roll into 2 long rolls (like logs).
- Wrap in foil and refrigerate for at least 24 hours. (In all the years that I have been making this, I have never done the refrigerating step. I roll it and put it straight in the oven.)
- Bake on the cookie sheet for 2 hours at 275°.
- Cool, rewrap and refrigerate. (Or in our case, slice it as soon as the heat subsides enough to keep from burning your fingers.)
This makes fabulous gifts and is always welcome on an hors d’oeuvre buffet. It is a traditional part of our holiday celebrations. Pair it with crackers and cheese for a satisfying snack. It freezes well and so can be made ahead and thawed in time for parties or snacking. Enjoy!!!
This post is linked to Tasty Tuesday.