Sometimes, the quick convenience of baking mix is SOOOO hard to pass up, even though I know that what is commercially available is loaded with hydrogenated fat, artificial colors and preservatives and, most likely, some GMO ingredients. In the past, I have made a scratch version, to save money, but it called for unbleached white flour and shortening. I would always want to substitute butter, but then it would have to be refrigerated….and yada, yada, yada. I eventually quit using baking mix. Now, that we have easier access to much more healthful ingredients, I threw together this easy homemade baking mix and it has worked out fantastically! It’s a quick fix for whole grain pancakes or biscuits, in the morning, and wait until you see the yummy Pot Pie Muffins I made with it!
First here’s the simple recipe for the baking mix. No refrigeration needed and NO hydrogenated fat! Just keep it in the pantry in a tightly sealed container and you’ll be just minutes away from your favorite baked goods!
- 15 cups whole wheat flour (I prefer hard white wheat.)
- 1¼ cups baking powder
- 1½ cups buttermilk powder
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 3 Tablespoons salt
- 2 cups coconut oil
- In a large bowl, mix all the dry ingredients.
- Cut the coconut oil into the dry ingredients, with a fork or pastry blender, until it resembles coarse meal.
- Seal in an airtight container and store in the pantry.
Tonight, the first thing I made with this simple baking mix was delicious Chicken Pot Pie Muffins for our dinner. Be sure to check out the recipe.
In the morning, I’ll test it out on some fresh, homemade biscuits. I’ll let you know how they come out! In the meantime, here are a couple of the staple recipes that you can use the homemade baking mix in, and I promise, there will be more coming in the days, ahead. Enjoy!
- 2¼ cups Healthy Homemade Baking Mix
- ⅔ cup milk or water
- melted butter, optional
- Stir together the mix and liquid to form a soft dough. If you need more moisture, add it just a teaspoon at a time, to get the dough consistency you want.
- Roll the dough out on a floured surface to about ½ inch thickness.
- Cut biscuits and place on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 8 - 10 minutes, until the biscuits are golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and brush the tops with melted butter, if desired.
- Serve with butter, honey, jelly or sausage gravy.
- 2 cups Healthy Homemade Baking Mix
- 1 - 1½ cup milk or water
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla
- Mix all ingredients together to form a smooth batter. (If you like thicker pancakes, use the lesser amount of liquid. For thinner pancakes add the greater amount.)
- Ladle batter, ¼ cup at a time, onto a hot, greased griddle or skillet.
- Cook until edges begin to dry and bubbles, in the center of the pancake, pop. Pancake will be golden brown on cooked side.
- Flip pancakes and cook on the other side until pancake is cooked through and golden brown on the bottom.
- Serve immediately with fresh fruit and berries, honey, maple syrup and butter or any of your favorite toppings.