When it comes to making lunch for our family, I love to “mix it up” a little. Typically, I’m serving leftovers, but making them over into something fun, colorful and full of flavor can make a lunch of leftovers a real taste sensation! This recipe is so versatile and can make your leftovers into a healthy-ish, palate-pleasing meal. The original recipe calls for ham and broccoli, but it would be easy to substitute other meats (turkey, tuna, chicken, etc.) and veggies (carrots, spinach, celery, radishes, tomatoes, peppers, etc.). You could also go meatless by using black beans, lentils or tofu. The possibilities are limitless and you can really get creative in coming up with your own colorful and tasty combinations! Honestly, it’s a pretty balanced meal, even on-the-go. For a little inspiration, I’ll show you what we did and I can’t wait to hear your own ideas for tastebud-pleasing, eye-appealing grilled cheese pocket lunches!
Our 11-year-old loves to help out in the kitchen and this is a super, kid-friendly recipe, so I was anxious to get her involved. We have had some sort of bug running through our family this week, though, and she was not up to cooking, (only eating 🙂 ). I just wanted to mention that this is a good way to get your kids into the kitchen. It’s so much more fun, for them, to eat something they’ve helped to create. Get them involved with the dicing and chopping, mixing the filling and stuffing the pockets. The recipe we used came straight from the Birds Eye website. They have a section of kid-friendly recipes, created by kids, for kids. I chose Grilled Cheesy Broccoli Pockets with Ham. I made it almost exactly the same, but as usual, I changed it up a little bit to accommodate the ingredients I had on hand. You can check out the original recipe, here, and the one below, is the way we made it here, at our house. Enjoy!
- 1 ½ cups Steamfresh® Broccoli Florets, cooked according to package directions
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 Gala apple, cored, unpeeled, chopped small
- 1 ½ cups leftover ham, chopped
- 3 whole wheat pita rounds, halved crosswise
- Miracle Whip and mustard
- pan spray for the grill pan
- Steam the broccoli in the microwave according to the directions on the package. Allow it to cool enough to be able to handle it.
- Lightly spray a skillet or grill pan and heat the pan over medium to medium-high heat.
- While the pan is heating, core and chop the apple, dice the ham and the broccoli.
- Mix the apple, ham, broccoli and cheese in a bowl.
- Cut the pita rounds in half and gently open the pocket in each half. Spread each half with Miracle Whip and mustard.
- Spoon filling into the pockets.
- Place the filled pockets into the hot skillet, or grill pan, and let it cook until it's a nice golden brown. (If you use a grill pan, you'll get lovely grill marks.) I actually ended up being able to grill 4 at a time, in my grill pan.
- Flip the sandwich and brown the other side.
- Move to a plate and serve!
I participated in a campaign on behalf of Mom Central Consulting for Birds Eye. I received product coupons to facilitate my review as well as a promotional item as a thank-you for participating. As with all Busy-at-Home reviews, the views and opinions expressed are wholly my own and based on my personal experience with the product.