Making your own seasoning blends saves money in the grocery budget. Controlling ingredients and creating a flavor profile that my family loves is another distinct benefit. That’s what I did when I created my DIY Fajita Seasoning. We like flavors that are a little bolder and with a bit of a kick. I was hoping our easy DIY fajita seasoning would be smokier than fajita seasonings I have purchased at the store, too.
Since I have dehydrated my own onions, I also wanted to use those to make the onion powder. While it’s certainly not necessary, I prefer to grind cumin seed ( and many other spices) in my spice grinder, to get freshly ground flavor. Once you’ve tried your own fresh cumin powder, you won’t go back. The flavor and aroma are incredible! So, even though the ingredients make this fajita seasoning “with a little twist”, I think you are going to love it! We use it in all kinds of dishes, like my Best Chicken Fajitas Recipe, fajita chicken salads, rice bowls, burritos, tacos and more. I’ll bet you can think of ways to use it in some of the recipes you already love preparing.
- 3 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 Tablespoons chipotle powder* (Substitute chili powder if you don't have chipotle, but the flavor will not be nearly as bold or smoky.)
- 1 Tablespoon quality sea salt*
- 1 Tablespoon smoked paprika*
- 1 Tablespoon white sugar
- 1 Tablespoon onion powder
- 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 Tablespoons ground cumin (I Grind mine from this cumin seed. *)
- Mix all ingredients in a 12 oz canning jar. Seal the jar and store in a cool, dark cabinet for up to 3 months.
Easy DIY Fajita Seasoning is just one spice blend you can make at home. What other blends would you like to see on Busy-at-Home?