When you were first married and budgets were tight (yes, even tighter than now), did you have favorite go-to recipes that you made and enjoyed often, but have somehow been weeded out of your menu rotations over the years? This simple, cottage cheese salad is one of mine. As newlyweds, it was one of David’s favorites and he always asked me to make it when we were having company. Back then, company dinners usually consisted of meatloaf and potatoes, this salad and green beans. It was good. Why don’t we serve that to company anymore? 🙂 Anyway, I made this salad for him, again last week, and the reaction was just the same. I love that smile!
Hope you enjoy this salad as much as we do!
- 1 large carton small curd cottage cheese
- 1 small box strawberry gelatin (use your favorite flavor)
- 2 sliced bananas (or fruit of your choice to coordinate with gelatin flavor)
- 1 small tub of Cool Whip (as you will see below, any whipped cream substitutions ARE possible)
- Mix gelatin powder into cottage cheese.
- Stir in Cool Whip.
- Add fruit.
- Refrigerate until serving time.