You’re going to love this versatile spray cleaner for how well it works and for it’s wonderful fall aroma – all warm and cinnamony (Yes, I insist that is a word. 🙂 ) and homey! (The great smell is from the essential oil I used.) It’s great for any kitchen or bathroom space. I use it on my glasstop range, my countertops, appliances, bathroom vanity, even the vinyl floor in the bathroom. For super tough scrubbing needs, see my recipe for Tub and Shower Scrub, but for everyday clean-ups, this all-purpose spray is the real deal and SUPER economical!
- 1 teaspoon Borax
- 1 teaspoon finely grated Fels Naptha
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon castile soap
- 10 drops Germ Fighter essential oil blend
- Boil water in microwave in microwave safe bowl. Mix in Fels Naptha and Borax, stirring until dissolved. Cool slightly. Pour the mixture into the spray bottle. Add vinegar, Castile soap and essential oil. Shake to combine. Use for cleaning counters, appliances -- any kitchen or bathroom space.
You can use any essential oil you like, in this recipe. I just LOVE Germ Fighter by Plant Therapy. It’s a blend of Lemon, Cloves, Eucalyptus, Cinnamon and Rosemary. It’s the same essential oil I use to fight colds and flu in my family, either by mixing with a carrier oil and applying to them directly, or by diffusing it into the air.. The blend is based on a legend that tells of medieval thieves who blended these specific oils to avoid catching the plague and other diseases from the victims they robbed. A 1997 study at Weber University showed the oils in this blend to be 99.96% effective against airborne bacteria. It’s perfect for cleaning up around the house.
Here’s the cost breakdown:
- 1 teaspoon of Borax = .005¢ (Yes, that’s 5/1000 of 1 cent.)
- 1 teaspoon of grated Fels Naptha = 1¢
- 2 Tablespoons white vinegar = 3¢
- 1 teaspoon Castile soap = 7¢
- 10 drops Germ Fighter essential oil = 20¢ (I buy the 100 ml bottle directly from Plant Therapy, to get this price. It’s 37.49 and has at least 2000 drops. If you use the Amazon link I provided, above, the cost is only $14.99 and your cost per bottle of cleaner only increases by 5¢. So start with whichever is easiest for you to afford.)
That makes the TOTAL COST for my 16 oz of All Purpose Spray Cleaner a whopping 31.005¢. Let’s just round it up to 32¢, to get an even number. Try to find an effective, safe and environmentally friendly all purpose cleaner for that price at the store! And it takes all of 2 or 3 minutes to mix up. It just doesn’t make sense not to do it.
What’s the first spot in your house that you want to clean and disinfect with the wonderful, warm, cinnamony scent of DIY All Purpose Cleaner?