July seems to have been one of those months that has been short on both cash and time! With school about to start I am always looking for meals that are easy to prepare and easy on the budget. “Clean out the pantry” is one of my favorite solutions. Do you ever go through “clean out the pantry”phases? I’ve been in that mode for several weeks, now, saving money in our budget by buying as few groceries as possible at the store and using up our pantry and freezer stockpiles, instead. Having already cooked up a large batch of chicken in the crock-pot, this week, also meant this tasty meal was quick and easy to throw together. It also doesn’t hurt that I could make the entire dish in just one pot. Hopefully, One-Pot Creamy Chicken Broccoli and Rice Casserole will become a time and money-saver in your back-to-school meal rotation, too.
Simple doesn’t mean flavorless in this yummy recipe, though. The onions and herbs add a real depth of flavor to the dish that makes it seem as though it has been roasting or cooking low and slow, all day long. You could definitely cut the butter, cream and/or sour cream from the recipe and substitute all milk, but you will miss out on some of the rich, savoriness, not to mention the creamy texture that is a perfect complement to the rice and chicken. All these ingredients were already in my fridge or pantry, so get creative with what you have on hand and surprise your family with a delicious one-pot meal. They’ll never know it was simple and inexpensive, only that it’s delish!
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked & cut into chunks
- 1 (14 oz) box instant brown rice
- 4 cups water
- ½ medium onion, minced
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 Tablespoon dried sage
- 1 Tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon dehydrated minced garlic
- 1 (26 oz) can cream of chicken soup
- 3 cups frozen broccoli florets
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups extra sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Roast chicken breasts, or cook by your favorite method. I roast large batches in the crock-pot and then divvy it up in different meals throughout the week.
- Bring the water, butter, sage, parsley, garlic, onion and salt to a boil in a large pan or dutch oven.
- Add the entire box of brown rice and return to a boil.
- Once rice is boiling, cover the pan and reduce heat to medium/ low.
- Cook until rice has absorbed all the liquid -- 5 to 10 minutes depending on your range.
- Remove lid and add soup, sour cream, cream, milk, cheddar cheese, broccoli and chicken chunks.
- Stir to combine.
- Place, uncovered into preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted.
I hope your family enjoys this Creamy Chicken Broccoli and Rice Casserole as much as mine does.
What’s your favorite make it quick and budget-friendly weeknight meal?