We all probably have a fairly similar routine when it comes to cleaning the wood furniture in our homes. I don’t even really think about it — a little spray on the dust cloth and a few swipes across the offending surfaces and then I’m on to another chore. But, if you think about it, furniture is one of the “big dollar” investments we make in our homes. Protecting that investment and extending the life of our furniture is one more way to be good stewards of what we’ve been given and to protect our family’s budget. And, if you’re like me; you have at least one piece that has significant meaning or sentimental value.
I am blessed with two. Last summer, my dad handmade a china cupboard for me. It is the focal point of the wall that joins our dining room and parlor. I love the color of the wood, that he only put glass in the top and gave me cupboards in the bottom, the idea that he sawed and fit each piece with me in mind and that it takes me back to one of my favorite childhood memories — the smell of fresh sawdust in Dad’s wood shop, each time I pass it.
The second piece I treasure is a small corner curio cabinet, left to me by David’s mom. It was special to her. She was extraordinarily special to me. Thus, that little cabinet is another beloved heirloom. I remember our children toddling up to it, as they learned to walk, pressing their noses against the glass and pointing chubby fingers at each of Mom’s special “treasures”, displayed inside. She never fussed at them about finger or nose prints on the glass. Instead, she told them stories about the pieces and I’m guessing that our older girls still remember some of them. I’m lucky enough to have a story or two to share with my own grandkids as they marvel at the “valuable gems” tucked inside it, now.
If you knew about Guardsman Furniture Care products, before this post, I’m a little miffed at you, right now. -lol- Seriously though, you should have told me! I was honestly not aware of them, before having the opportunity to try their Lemon Fresh Revitalizing Wood Polish, this week. I really like it! I’m not a huge fan of glossy, waxy finishes on furniture. It just doesn’t look welcoming or comfy to me for some reason. I love, love, love wood furniture, but I prefer natural finishes. So, as you can imagine, I have a long-standing, love-hate relationship with furniture polishes. I like the way they help me collect the dust off the furniture, without redistributing it through the house, but I just don’t care for the artificial “shine” they leave behind.
Guardsman’s Lemon Fresh Revitalizing Wood Polish provides me with everything I want from furniture polish, none of the things I don’t and one or two I didn’t realize I needed, until this review. It’s great at removing dust without just swishing into another area, but it also doesn’t leave that high gloss shine on my wood. Yahoo! What I didn’t expect, and noticed right away, was that my wood pieces LOOKED hydrated. They weren’t shiny, but you could actually SEE that moisture had been absorbed into the wood. Exposure to dry air through the winter or sunlight from your windows over a period of years, can really dry out and wreak havoc on your favorite wood pieces. Until now, I have dutifully polished that “artificial shine” back into my furniture, at least giving the appearance that it wasn’t suffering too much damage. After using the Guardsman Wood Polish, I am convinced I was probably just covering up the problems and doing very little to fix them. Today, my china cupboard and curio cabinet look renewed, without being glossy. They have the natural finish that I love, but they are also brighter and fresher looking. I’m so excited about the polish, that I will definitely be tracking down Guardsman’s Purifying Furniture Wood Cleaner!
Guardsman’s theory is that proper care and cleaning routines can extend the life and beauty of your heirloom furniture and they are on a mission to teach you how to do it. They’ve teamed up with Tracy Hutson, (You’ll remember her as one of the original designers on Extreme Home Makeovers.), to educate homeowners and show them that furniture needs more than just cleaning. The campaign is called, “Stop Cleaning. Start Caring.” and it was launched on March 28th. Besides providing the knowledge and the products we can use to put it into practice, Guardsman and Hutson have designed a contest for those who will share a story, at Guardsman.com, about their favorite piece of furniture and make a promise to care for it in the same way they care for other things they love. From the stories shared, Hutson will select one lucky winner, with the best furniture story, to receive a personal design session in their home that includes a $1,500 room re-accessorizing and shopping experience along with a suite of Guardsman products! How cool is that? Be sure to head over and enter! Guardsman is also donating $25,000 to Habitat for Humanity as part of the program launch. I love companies that get active in the community and actively pursue ways to help out.
ABOUT THE PRODUCTS
- Revitalizing Wood Polish –The unique formula enhances wood’s natural luster and helps banish the effects of time by concealing fine surface scratches. Containing no waxes or silicones, it leaves no greasy film. Select from aerosols or trigger sprays – in either a crisp Woodland Fresh scent or a citrus-clean Lemon Fresh scent. A special formula with UV Protection is also available in aerosol and cream. Retail price: $5.49-$6.99.
- Purifying Wood Cleaner – The perfect furniture facial – a cleanser that quickly cuts through grime, oily films and food and beverage residues, leaving a streak-free clean with no dust attracting residue. Retail price: $5.49-$6.99.
- Ultimate Dusting Cloths – Dusting just got easier with Guardsman’s sprayless and odorless cloth. The 100% cotton flannel, lint-free cloths are specially treated to be tough enough to trap dust to remove allergens, yet gentle enough for scratch-free results. Each cloth is hand washable and reusable for added convenience. Available in three sizes: single-cloth, 5-cloth and 12-cloth packs. Retail price: $2.99-$19.99.
- Guardsman has been at the forefront of furniture care for nearly 100 years, leading the way with expertise, products and solutions to help revitalize, protect and restore furniture. With more than 20 furniture care products, Guardsman offers a comprehensive line of furniture care and repair products to nurture your new and heirloom wood, leather and fabric furnishings.
- Guardsman products are available at furniture retailers, as well as hardware, home improvement and specialty stores nationwide. Visit Guardsman.com to locate a retailer near you or for in-depth product information, furniture care advice and seasonal tips.
After using their furniture polish, myself, I’m ready to purchase their entire line of wood care products. It makes budget sense and sentimental sense to prolong the life, beauty and usefulness of our furniture, so that it won’t need to be replaced. In our current economy, it is even more critical to care for and make the most of what we already have, being wise stewards of what we’re blessed with. Guardsman products can help me achieve that. I think you’ll love them, too!
I wrote this review while participating in a blog tour campaign by Mom Central Consulting, on behalf of Guardsman Furniture Care, and I received a can of Guardsman Lemon Fresh Revitalizing Wood Polish, to test in my own home and facilitate the review. I also received a promotional item to thank me for taking the time to participate. As with all Busy-at-Home reviews, the views and opinions expressed are wholly my own, and based on my personal experience with the product.