For decades, World Vision has made it possible for individuals to serve and impact impoverished children and families all over the world by purchasing gifts whose price provides the world’s neediest people with food, shelter, education, farm animals and machines to start businesses, clean water and so much more. World Vision also provides ways to purchase gifts that are sent directly to those needy families. For instance, last year we purchased a goat and three ducks to to be sent to provide milk and eggs for a family or milk and eggs for them to sell for income. I like that we have two great choices — to purchase items to give to those we love, in which the profits from those gifts provide for another family or we can purchase gifts to be sent directly to the families in need.
In recent years, it has become possible for some of those purchases and/or donations to provide for poor children and families, right here in the United States, as well. Currently, one in five children in the U.S. lives in poverty. That’s a staggering figure to me! 44% of America’s poor are considered to be in “deep poverty”, meaning they are living below half the poverty line. That figure encompasses nearly 10% of the children growing up in our country! The World Vision Christmas Catalog includes a section, called Poverty in America, which will allow shoppers to purchase gifts that will impact and help those in our own country and provide them with much needed assistance.
There are a multitude of gifts available, at all different price points, and to fit the personalities and interests of everyone on your holiday shopping list. Their purchase prices send money to “where it’s needed most”. These gift purchases enable World Vision to respond quickly in areas of greatest need, to help the world’s most vulnerable children and families. Your purchase will fund projects like:
- Food Aid: World Vision is the largest distributor of food aid for the World Food Program.
- Clean Water: Water is one of the most powerful ways to improve the health, hygiene, and well-being of children.
- HIV and AIDS: World Vision’s HIV and AIDS care and prevention work helps families and orphans in more than 60 countries.
- Emergency Relief: World Vision responds to humanitarian emergencies by providing food aid, shelter, and essential supplies. Rapid response teams often reach disaster sites within 48 hours of cyclones, floods, and earthquakes.
- Medicines and Clothing: Your gift enables World Vision to ship and distribute millions of dollars worth of donated medicines and clothing to suffering children.
- Microenterprise Development: More than half a million impoverished men and women are building their own businesses with small loans received from World Vision’s small business programs.
- Poverty in the United States: World Vision connects and assists local leaders, churches, and organizations to help families break the cycle of poverty in impoverished communities.
I love the gorgeous Prosperity Cinnamon Box, that I received to review. $66 of it’s purchase price is donated to provide for programs just like those, above. The box is made from handcarved cinnamon bark and is filled with 3 oz. of Vietnamese Cinnamon. Those of you who have baked with this wonderful spice know just what a treasure it is and what a significant difference it makes in the flavor of your dishes and baked goods.
Whether you decide to help by purchasing handmade gifts or simply donating to send gifts directly to those in need, you have an amazing opportunity to share and serve families and children here in the United States, and abroad, who desperately need your help. Simply visit World Vision online to order from their 2013 World Vision Gift Catalog. What a great way to really teach our children to be cheerful givers, to have compassionate hearts and to reach out in love to all God’s people with tangible gifts, that serve, provide hope and a future. I personally love the animal gifts, because they continue to multiply, providing a source of food and income for the families who receive them. Which gifts are most exciting to you? Will you provide food, or is medical care and clothing your passion? Do you feel led to provide gifts that help save women and children from exploitation and trafficking or are you inspired to send gifts to provide education? All of these are meaningful gifts that can change the course of another person’s life. Christmas is definitely about giving. Not the kind that the world typically thinks of, but the selfless, love- and hope-inspiring gifts that will impact the future of generations. Christ was that kind of gift — born as a gift to all humanity, a gift of perfect sacrifice and love, a gift that changed and impacted us for eternity. What better way to celebrate His birthday and reflect His salvation gift than to give in ways, like Him, that may have life-changing impact on others. I’m so excited to share this opportunity with you! Which gift will you choose, this year?
One Busy-at-Home reader will win a beautiful Prosperity Cinnamon Box, just like the one I received. To enter, please browse through the World Vision Gift Catalog and in a comment on this post, tell me the gift you would be most excited to share, this year. Once your comment is complete, register it with the Rafflecopter form, below.