I recently had a chance to try a new recipe, using Rice Chex. In my family, there is a favorite simple snack that we call “Puppy Chow”. If any of you are familiar with it, this recipe will look similar to you. The difference is that Puppy Chow is chocolatey, peanut butter goodness wrapped around Chex and Chex Lemon Buddies use white chocolate and the freshness of lemon to put a fresh new twist on a crunchy snack. It turns out that my husband prefers the lemon to the chocolate. (We’re getting him help, but these things take time.) 🙂 The recipe is fast and simple and provides a delicious contrast of sweet and tart with a delightful crunchy texture.
Chex Lemon Buddies
- 9 cups Rice Chex® cereal
- 1 ¼ cups vanilla or white chocolate baking chips
- ¼ cup butter or margarine
- 4 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups powdered sugar
1. Into large bowl, measure cereal; set aside.
2. In 1-quart microwavable bowl, microwave chips, butter, lemon zest and juice uncovered on High 1 minute; stir. Microwave about 30 seconds longer or until mixture can be stirred smooth. Pour mixture over cereal, stirring until evenly coated. Pour into 2-gallon resealable food-storage plastic bag.
3. Add powdered sugar. Seal bag; gently shake until well coated. Spread on waxed paper or foil to cool. Store in airtight container.