I have been testing a new addition to my cooking and baking tools – the OXO Egg Beater. I always loved getting the opportunity to use an egg beater, as a child. It just seemed so close to actually being grown up enough to use the real mixer! My ten-year-old and grandkids feel the same [...]
I have been testing a new addition to my cooking and baking tools – the OXO Egg Beater. I always loved getting the opportunity to use an egg beater, as a child. It just seemed so close to actually being grown up enough to use the real mixer! My ten-year-old and grandkids feel the same as I did back then. They stand just a little taller and feel so much more “grown up” when they can operate the egg beater on their own.
The difference between old time egg beaters and this ingenious new model from OXO are manifold:
- In the old days, egg beaters were all metal and difficult to clean and thoroughly dry, so it was common for the gears to get gunky or rusty and eventually just not function smoothly. With the OXO egg beater, the gears are encased in the handle, protecting them from splatters and you don’t immerse the handle in water, just wipe it down with a damp cloth.
The beaters can be removed and passed to chubby-fingered little fans, who have been waiting anxiously to lick them clean. Licking the beaters of old-fashioned egg beaters could have painful and dangerous consequences. No one wants to spin their tongue into metal beaters. Ouch! I love this great “sharing” feature of the OXO egg beater.
- Clean-up is easy as the beaters and the entire base can be removed and tossed into the dishwasher.
- The non-slip grip on the handle and the turning knob make operating the egg beater smooth and simple, whether you’re whipping eggs, cream or some other delicious treat.
- It’s also very cool that they have built a stainless steel bar across the bottom of the egg beater, that extends just below the beaters, holding them off the bottom of the bowl, without making your arms tired trying to hold it up. They thought of everything!
- It’s sturdy. Since being introduced to OXO products a few weeks ago, I am impressed with the quality and durability of the tools they offer for my kitchen and household. I anticipate getting many years of use from this high quality egg beater.
My intention was to definitely share a new and yummy recipe with you, in conjunction with this great giveaway. I used my new OXO Egg Beater to whip up 36 (yup! count them! 36!) eggs for a brand new recipe, Christmas Morning Breakfast Casserole for the crock pot. The egg beater was fabulous and whipped up all those eggs with ease, but alas, the recipe was an EPIC fail. No Christmas casserole for you! -lol- But, no worries. I still have pictures of this nifty kitchen gadget in action. My ten-year-old has become a pudding-making fool, since she realized how easy it is to whip up with the egg beater! All you need to make a ten-year-old incredibly happy is 2 cups of cold whole milk and a box of his/her favorite flavor of instant pudding. Hand them the egg beater and smiles will abound!
I really think this is one of those kitchen tools you will find yourself reaching for on a daily basis. If you’re like me, you are constantly do a job that doesn’t really merit use of a bulky stand mixer, but would work better with a little extra oomph over straight mixing by hand. The OXO egg beater is perfect for those times. So, go grab one for your kitchen and make something delish, like a brownie pudding trifle and some fresh whipped cream to top it off.
Mmmmmmm……brownie.pudding.trifle.with.fresh.whipped.cream…..Talk to you later! Oh snap! I got distracted., but I didn’t forget…
Win an OXO Egg Beater for your own kitchen by entering this easy giveaway! All you need to do is take a stroll through OXO’s website , and in a comment below, tell me which of their handy tools you would love to add to your collection in 2012. Then hit the DO IT and Enter buttons in the form below to register your entry and reveal extra entry options. The giveaway will end at midnight on Sunday, January 29, 2012.
I received an OXO Egg Beater to test it in my own kitchen and conduct this review. No monetary compensation was recieved and a positive review was not required. The views and opinions expressed are wholly my own.
When I decided to try this super-simple recipe, my intention was to have some chicken breasts prepared for the week, that we could use on salads, in quesadillas, in sandwiches or on mini pizzas, etc. You know, quick-fix lunch things. What actually happened blew my mind! I have never had white meat chicken that was [...]
When I decided to try this super-simple recipe, my intention was to have some chicken breasts prepared for the week, that we could use on salads, in quesadillas, in sandwiches or on mini pizzas, etc. You know, quick-fix lunch things. What actually happened blew my mind! I have never had white meat chicken that was so delicious, so moist and so beautiful. I started out making lunch fixins’ and ended up making a beautiful meat entree that you (or I) would be proud to serve to guests at a dinner party! The genius new kitchen appliance that made this possible is my NuWave oven (which I have put a lot of miles on in just one week ). If you have never tried one, you will be amazed at all it can do. I will be posting a series of recipes, this week that I have made in it. The versatility is incredible! This is the one kitchen appliance you will keep on your counter at all times. You can buy one on their website, or if you haven’t entered, yet, be sure to click over to my GIVEAWAY and register to win one for your own kitchen.
Also, if you haven’t seen it, yet, check out my recipe for Perfect Grilled Cheese made in my NuWave!
The results of this delicious discovery were two-fold. First of all, I realized that for less than ten dollars, I had prepared a main dish worthy of a company dinner, meaning this could be used to frugally prepare a wonderful dinner party and it was done in only TWENTY THREE MINUTES! Amazing! Honestly, the chicken breasts I cooked were so huge, that had I planned on serving them as an entree, I would likely have cut most of them in half, making 12-14 servings for under $10! I love that! Secondly, I was so impressed with the way this chicken turned out, I went immediately to the grocery store and picked up a bird to try something I have never done before — roasting a whole chicken. Let’s just say, “I’m fabulous!” and I can’t wait to show you how easy and delicious that was! Watch for the recipe.
Grilled cheese doesn’t get better than this AND I can make 4 at a time in my NuWave oven! The bread is toasted to perfection and the cheese is creamy, gooey and delicious! Plus, if you haven’t seen my review of the NuWave oven, be sure to check out this post and enter our GIVEAWAY [...]
Grilled cheese doesn’t get better than this AND I can make 4 at a time in my NuWave oven! The bread is toasted to perfection and the cheese is creamy, gooey and delicious! Plus, if you haven’t seen my review of the NuWave oven, be sure to check out this post and enter our GIVEAWAY to win one for your own kitchen!
If you haven’t seen my review of the NuWave oven, be sure to check out this post and enter our GIVEAWAY to win one for your own kitchen!
Sloppy Joes make a perfect quick supper that is filling and generally enjoyed by most people. It’s a staple in most kitchens and easy to fall back on in a pinch. The canned sauce varieties offer an even quicker alternative when I’m in a hurry to get a meal on the table, but my husband [...]
Sloppy Joes make a perfect quick supper that is filling and generally enjoyed by most people. It’s a staple in most kitchens and easy to fall back on in a pinch. The canned sauce varieties offer an even quicker alternative when I’m in a hurry to get a meal on the table, but my husband is not a fan of those. He prefers my homemade version. I recently came up with a compromise version that he liked and got me out the door to AWANA and Jr. High Youth Group in plenty of time. All I did was start with a base of an inexpensive canned sloppy joe sauce and then added the extra zip necessary to satisfy David’s discerning palate.
Fortunately, we’ve been testing some delicious products from Country Bob’s that added the perfect “kick” to our sloppy joe supper. The gift pack I reviewed contained a cookbook, Country Bob’s Seasoning Salt (which my daughter now has to have each evening when we make popcorn), Country Bob’s Barbecue Sauce (It was absolutely delicious on chicken.), Country Bob’s All Purpose Original Sauce (already one of our family favorites for burgers, steaks, chicken and pork), Country Bob’s Apple Chipotle Sauce and Country Bob’s Honey Habanero Sauce. We have loved Country Bob’s for years, but this was our first opportunity to try the seasoning salt and the two spicy sauces. We’re hooked ! They truly are “all purpose” sauces with so many possible uses in everything from meat, poultry, and casseroles to soups and stews.
You and your family will have the chance to try a couple of these yummy sauces for yourself, if you win our Country Bob’s giveaway. Country Bob’s has generously agreed to send our winner TWO bottles of All Purpose Sauce! Register, below, to win!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
I received a Country Bob’s Gift Pack in order to test the product and write this review. no monetary compensation was received and a positive review was not required. As with all Busy-at-Home reviews, the views and opinions expressed are wholly my own.
Are you a pressure cooker pro? I had absolutely zero experience with one, prior to last week, and after some of the old horror stories I had read, I fully expected to burst, damage or maim myself (Gross! That would be so messy!) or others if I was foolish enough to try and use one. [...]
Are you a pressure cooker pro? I had absolutely zero experience with one, prior to last week, and after some of the old horror stories I had read, I fully expected to burst, damage or maim myself (Gross! That would be so messy!) or others if I was foolish enough to try and use one. -lol- It turns out that I had nothing to fear! Thankfully, some of those stories may be slightly exaggerated and ALL of them were from a point in time where the technology had not developed to the level we enjoy, today. What a relief to see how safe modern pressure cookers have become! The Instant Pot Electric slow cooker was easy and safe to operate. And best of all, the Instant Pot is electric. I don’t even need to use a burner on my range, which means more space available to cook other dishes while my Instant Pot pressure cooker cooks a dish for our meal!
Pressure cooking has many advantages, speed being the most noticeable, for this novice. However, after preparing several different recipes, it was soon evident that speed is just scratching the surface of the list of benefits of using the Instant Pot Electric Pressure Cooker.
- During pressure cooking, heat is very evenly, deeply, and quickly distributed. This provides not only faster cooking times (up to 70% reduction in cooking times!), but consistency throughout your dish. Foods, especially meats, tend to be more tender and juicy when prepared in a pressure cooker. Dishes burst with flavor, since they are cooked in a sealed environment, with only enough liquid to keep the pressure cooker filled with steam. This pressurized steam pushes seasonings and flavor deep into the food and also results in the greater retention of nutrients.
- The InstaPot has 10 safety features built in, that exceed the already vastly improved safety of modern pressure cookers.
- Instant Pot has eight intelligent programming, one-key operation buttons built in. You can select pre-programmed cooking times for Soup, Rice, Multi-grain Rice, Congee, Meat & Stew, Beans & Chili, Steaming, and Slow Cooking. (Yup, it can also function as a slow cooker!)
- You can select Manual Mode to select your own specific length of time for the recipes you’re preparing.
- It’s automatic! Once a dish has completed the selected time or cooking program, it automatically switches to Keep Warm mode. You don’t have to stand over the cooker, monitoring every second of cooking and timing it to remove it from the heat at the proper time.
- The delayed cooking feature allows you to plan up to 24 hours ahead when preparing dishes.
- Reduced cooking time, means reduced energy usage and it already uses far less energy than your range or oven. Imagine the energy-savings recognized in 70% shorter cooking times!
- You don’t heat up your kitchen using it and it is extremely energy-efficient. The Instant Pot exterior housing is fully insulated and cool to the touch during short-term operation and only lukewarm during long-term cooking. The “intelligence” built into it, means that only the inner pot is being heated in order to maintain the pressure level and that energy is concentrated on cooking the food. Having to heat the inner pot only to reach and maintain specific pressure levels means that the heating element is only actively “heating” about 40% of the time during long-term cooking.
- It is totally quiet during operation. I remember a spitting, steaming, click-click-clicking pressure cooker on my Grandma’s stove top when I was a child. There is none of that with the Instant Pot. I have the option of opening the pressure valve and releasing steam quickly at the end of cooking or simply allowing the steam to dissipate naturally as part of the pre-programmed settings. Even with the manual quick-release of the pressurized steam in the pot, the noise is minimal.
- It has been easy to learn to use. I was somewhat fearful, in the beginning, but have really enjoyed how simple it is to operate the Instant Pot. Straight from the box, I was able to have my first dish cooking away in a matter of minutes.
If I had to pick one thing that I wish was different, it would be that the User Manual and Recipe Booklet, included, would be more detailed. Both seem to assume the user will have some general knowledge of pressure cooking and so did not answer all the “newbie” general questions I had about pressure cooking. Many of those questions were easily answered through Google searches and studying pressure cooker recipes, at Food.com and Allrecipes.com, however. I have also heard of using pressure cookers for home canning and there was no mention of this possibility, so I will need to further research that, as well.
The Instant Pot is definitely one of those multi-use appliances that is going to be heavily used in my kitchen. It’s a slow cooker, rice cooker, vegetable steamer AND a pressure cooker. I’m really anxious to see all the ways I will be able to use it for holiday cooking. The first day I received it, I prepared this beautiful and absolutely mouthwatering pork loin roast in only 40 minutes.
I also used the Instant Pot to cook dry beans. From dry to tender and ready to use in any recipe, it was only 45 minutes! I forgot to take any pictures in all the excitement of mass cooking all those beans so quickly, but here’s all I did. I used a 1 lb bag of red beans and a 1 lb bag of black beans. Place the beans in a large bowl and cover completely with water. Allow them to soak for about 4 hours (Skins will be wrinkly.) Drain and rinse the beans. Place the dry beans, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 cup butter in the Instant Pot. Cover beans with water, making sure the water level is 2 to 3 inches above the level of the beans. Lock pressure cooker lid into place and make sure steam valve is sealed. Press the program button for beans and leave the cooker to work. At the end of the 45 minute cycle, quick-release the steam and remove the beans. They are ready to use in any recipe. I actually used some for taco soup and then froze the rest in quart-sized ziptop bags.
The recipe I want to share with you was one I devised hurriedly on Wednesday afternoon, when I realized I hadn’t thawed anything for supper, which was going to have to be early because of Wednesday night church activities. I decided to use ingredients I already had in my kitchen and make a hearty soup that would fill every one up, for their evening out. This yummy Potato Bacon Chowder was the happy result. It was so simple and exceptionally fast, which was just what I needed.
Are you hungry, yet? Me, too! Well then, let’s get down to it. You can certainly purchase this fantastic Instant Pot Pressure Cooker for your kitchen and wouldn’t it make a fabulous gift? The price at Amazon is a good value for such a versatile, multi-purpose appliance. However, if you’re feeling lucky, you may just want to enter below, because one very blessed Busy-at-Home reader is going to win an Instant Pot Electric Pressure Cooker! Now, this giveaway is slightly different from others that I have done. While it is still open to everyone residing in the U.S., it’s also open to those in Canada. The other major difference is that residents of Hawaii and Alaska would incur some shipping charges to receive their prize, as it is shipping from Canada, not the U.S. So, with that in mind, enter, enter, enter! You definitely don’t want to miss out on this one!
I received an Instant Pot Electric Pressure Cooker in order to test it in my own kitchen and write this review. No monetary compensation was received and a positive review was not required. As with all Busy-at-Home reviews, the views and opinions expressed are wholly my own.
Have you ever made cream puffs? Why didn’t someone tell me how simple this is!!???!!! Or how delicious? Seriously, the local bakery has nothing on me with these beautiful pastry delights. I can’t believe I’ve never tried to make them before. With three parts and one of them having a fancy French name like choux [...]
Have you ever made cream puffs? Why didn’t someone tell me how simple this is!!???!!! Or how delicious? Seriously, the local bakery has nothing on me with these beautiful pastry delights. I can’t believe I’ve never tried to make them before. With three parts and one of them having a fancy French name like choux pastry, I was always too intimidated to try. Thank goodness for the Secret Recipe Club and my assigned blog, this month, Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker. The Frugal Antics author is a third generation baker with a passion for family and food. I spent hours poring over the recipes on her site, bookmarking dozens, before finally selecting her Cream Puff recipe for my November Secret Recipe Club entry. Having never attempted cream puffs, before, I honestly didn’t change a thing. The recipe is AMAZING, as is, though now that I know I can do it, I may play around with some different fillings — even some savory ones would be delish! Anyway, a huge thank you to Frugal Antics for sharing the recipe and this is how I prepared them at my home.
Are you that recordkeeper extraordinaire that writes on the back of all your photos, as soon as they’re printed, creates gorgeous photo albums for each child and has family albums for every year since you’ve been married? (I’m harboring ungracious thoughts about you, right now. ) Or do you have envelopes and boxes of snapshots [...]
Are you that recordkeeper extraordinaire that writes on the back of all your photos, as soon as they’re printed, creates gorgeous photo albums for each child and has family albums for every year since you’ve been married? (I’m harboring ungracious thoughts about you, right now. ) Or do you have envelopes and boxes of snapshots in the garage and in the attic and in the closet and under the bed and well, you get the picture — that cover multiple years in your family’s history — all mixed together — and lots of scrapbooking kits and supplies that are still in their packaging, though you had good intentions of using them?
And now that you have a digital camera, do you faithfully print out all the good photos, delete the bad ones and do all that stuff I talked about in the first sentence (Okay, now you’re making me cry.) or are all your pictures, good and bad, stored in folders on your hard drive, not being enjoyed by anyone and using up tons of space that makes your computer slow and wastes space? Yeah…so…I have some photo issues.
My Memories Digital Photo Album software has given me new hope for our family’s photo history. When I was approached last week, to review it, the timing couldn’t have been more perfect; since we were about to make our cross-country (well, cross-four states) trek on a family vacation to Ohio. This could be REALLY good! I accepted the review opportunity with renewed faith that at least one family event would be recorded for posterity and then we left on our vacation. While we were gone, I took tons of video and I snapped hundreds of photos. Once we returned, I resolved to get right to the project at hand and test out the My Memories software. I absolutely love it! THIS I can do!
What’s so special about this digital photo album software? Well, lets make a list:
- It’s simple to learn and use.
- It comes with hundreds of paper, embellishment and template options – something to fit every occasion, plus I can add more, if I choose.
- I can create a photo album and print it myself in either a 12 x 12 size or and 8.5 x 11 size.
- I can create a custom photo album and have as many hard copies professionally printed as I want, in either a 12 x 12 size or and 8.5 x 11 size. (What great gifts!)
- I can create a photo calendar and have it professionally printed. (Another awesome gift idea!)
- I can create an interactive photo album, burn it onto a DVD and share or gift it to someone. These albums can have links, music and video in them and you “flip” through them just like turning the pages of a real photo album. It’s so cool!
- I can turn my digital scrapbook into a movie and burn it to DVD or share it online.
- I can create high quality jpeg images of my album pages to use online or for other projects.
- I can narrate my album, by adding voice recordings, as I create it.
- I can download different templates, designs, embellishments, papers etc., straight from the My Memories website and they have an entire section of them that are totally free!
- I can add videos and music to my albums, as I create them.
- I can save and share my album in a movie format that is compatible with iPods and other handheld devices.
In the interest of loading time, I am including a link to the User’s Guide, which is loaded with screen shots, and can show how simple this program is to use. You won’t believe how quickly you will be able to create your own gorgeous photo albums.
EVERYBODY WINS!!! Not only is My Memories sponsoring a giveaway for the Digital Photo Album Suite that I reviewed, they are also providing an exclusive Busy-at-Home promo code for ALL our readers to receive $10 off the software download, bringing the cost of the software to only $17.98, during their amazing 30% Off Sale. Using the code with your order will also get you an additional $10 coupon code off any kits or papers you want to add to your program! $10 off and $10 in free add-ons! That’s like everyone winning the giveaway! See why I’m excited? So definitely, enter the giveaway, below; but if you’re in a hurry like me, take advantage of these great savings and order your My Memories Digital Scrapbooking software download, now. Use the exclusive Busy-at-Home Coupon Code : STMMMS23221 and receive $10 off your software + a coupon code for $10 off your next purchase in the My Memories store! I used my $10 coupon to download some adorable cooking and recipe add-ons. My next project will be a Family Cookbook! Plus, I’ll be doing lots of albums of all our holiday celebrations. The timing of this great deal is perfect!
You must be 18 or older and a resident of the U.S. to enter. Mandatory Entry must be completed before any optional entries will count. Winner will be selected in a random drawing using random.org. Deadline to enter is midnight, (CST), Sunday, November 6, 2011. Winner will be notified by email and have 48 hours to respond with shipping information. After 48 hours, a new winner will be selected.
Visit My Memories, and in a comment below, tell me which Digital Scrapbooking Kit is your favorite.
Optional Additional Entries:
- Like My Memories on Facebook. Leave a comment below with your Facebook Name to let me know you’ve done it.
- Follow My Memories on Twitter. Leave a comment letting me know you’ve done it.
- Follow Busy-at-Home on Twitter. Leave a comment letting me know you’ve done it.
- Like Busy-at-Home on Facebook. Leave a comment letting me know you’ve done it.
- Follow Busy-at-Home on Google Friends Connect. (click the JOIN button in the right-hand sidebar.) Leave a comment letting me know you’ve done it.
- Subscribe to the Busy-at-Home Newsletter with this link or in the right-hand sidebar. You will receive an email confirmation with a link that must be clicked to confirm your subscription. Once you click the email link to confirm your subscription, leave me a comment to let me know you’ve done it.
- Tweet this giveaway (maximum of 1x per day, please). Win a fabulous Digital Scrapbooking Software Suite! Preserve memories, create gifts & more @mymemoriessuite @busyathome http://ow.ly/75KJM Leave a comment below with a link to your tweet.
- Post this giveaway on your Facebook page. Win a fabulous My Memories Digital Scrapbooking Software Suite! Preserve precious memories, create recipe books, Christmas gifts & more! http://ow.ly/75KJM Leave a comment below with a link to your post.
I received the My Memories Digital Scrapbooking software in order to evaluate the product and conduct this review. No monetary compensation was received and a positive review was not required. As always, at Busy-at-Home, the views and opinions expressed are wholly my own. This page contains an affiliate link.