Have you ever eaten Red Velvet Cake? Or baked one? As a Midwestern girl, who has been baking for more than 40 years, you would think that I would have run across one. But yesterday, I baked, and tasted, my very first. I read websites and recipes that claimed Red Velvet Cake for “the south”, […]
Have you ever eaten Red Velvet Cake? Or baked one? As a Midwestern girl, who has been baking for more than 40 years, you would think that I would have run across one. But yesterday, I baked, and tasted, my very first. I read websites and recipes that claimed Red Velvet Cake for “the south”, but then there were some northern-folk who felt that their formula was probably the original. I never did discover where the idea actually started, but after a little research, their was no question people felt very personally attached to the memories Red Velvet Cake evoked and the recipes are handed down in families like a precious heirloom. Interestingly, they all come with their variations and quirks, making each unique and a custom creation. Rather than re-invent the wheel, I took bits and pieces from the different recipes I found and baked one for myself, which I think probably turned out to be pretty traditional, other than the fruity twist.
My interest was first piqued with the idea of baking a Red Velvet Cake, because of the new air freshener scents I received from Renuzit, this week — Chocolate Covered Cherries and Red Velvet Cake. I have shared with with you, before, how strongly I feel about certain scents and fragrances, (whether it be in laundry detergent, dish soap or air fresheners), to create a mood or set the tone in a home. Memories and experiences just seem to be so vivid and fresh when they are evoked by a smell that takes you back to the moment you experienced it. In my childhood, Chocolate Covered Cherries were the ultimate delicacy and the gift my dad received for every birthday, Father’s Day and Christmas. They were one of his favorites and if we were allowed to sample one — well that was just next to heaven. :) Cakes and cookies baking were common scents in our home, growing up, and a memory that I have spent years recreating for our own kids. I so enjoy being in the kitchen and expressing my love for my family through the foods I create for them there. Nothing is so welcoming, comforting and homey as a house filled with the smells of baking. These new Renuzit fragrances capture those warm, welcoming memories in deliciously extravagant scents. Check out Renuzit’s Facebook page to hear even more about their Tempting Indulgences air fresheners. You’re going to love them! And, when you smell them, and see these pictures, you’re going to want to eat Red Velvet Cake, too! But, I want to tweak this recipe some more. You can read about it in my notes, below. I just want it to be PERFECT for you and I don’t think it’s there, yet! Not a baking-fail, per se, but not yet, special. I’ll keep you posted. In the meantime, check out what I did and these gorgeous pictures!
Since baking happens at our house on a very regular basis, I had nearly everything, on hand, that I needed to whip up a Red Velvet Cake; but, I was out of buttermilk. I decided to make a quick run to Walmart to get some and to grab a couple ingredients for some other recipes that were swirling and gelling in my brain over the last couple of days. It was going to be a quick “in and out”, so I did a very dangerous thing. (Insert crazy, sinister, oh no, not that, music here.) dun–dun–dun– I went in without a list! Please, do not try this at home! A trained professional navigated the store, without a list, and still came home with items not needed and neglected to purchase things they were planning to get. Actual dings were put in the budget in the making of this list-free shopping trip, both at the store and in the needed gas to repeat the trip for the unpurchased items. This is never a good idea for the family budget. So, don’t follow my bad example. Always shop with a list. :) If you want to see my entire shopping trip, check out my Google+ album.
I am a member of the Collective Bias™ Social Fabric® Community. This content has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias™ and Renuzit. As with all Busy-at-Home reviews, the views and opinions expressed are wholly my own and based on my personal experience with the product. #TemptYourSenses #CBias #SocialFabric
Since most of you will realize this is our third project with Bodycology, it will come as no surprise that I absolutely love them! Spa treatments and exotic beauty products are simply not in our family budget, but I never feel deprived or like I’m missing out, because I was fortunate enough to discover Bodycology […]
Since most of you will realize this is our third project with Bodycology, it will come as no surprise that I absolutely love them! Spa treatments and exotic beauty products are simply not in our family budget, but I never feel deprived or like I’m missing out, because I was fortunate enough to discover Bodycology products back in 2009. Their fragrances rival any expensive “aromatherapy” concoction you will find on the market and they are available at a fraction of the price.
I never have to take the time to drive to some exclusive, expensive boutique or spa to experience these high quality, inexpensive body care products. It’s as simple as a trip down the health and beauty aisle at my local Wal-Mart, not to mention many other local and national chains. And whether I’m making a purchase for myself or putting together a fun gift basket for a friend, I can find a wonderful variety of products at prices I can afford. Wouldn’t they be perfect for a bridal shower or as a present for a new mom? Imagine the awesome gifts you can create! And when bargains like the current Sweet Petals special at Wal-Mart are available, it’s time to stock up for future gifts! Be sure to see if the Wal-Mart in your area is carrying it.
I received an amazing gift basket of Bodycology Sweet Petals products for this review. It is every product in the Sweet Petals Collection. The cool part is that since this same set is on special all through May at Wal-Marts across the United States, you can experience it an affordable price, too! Somehow, as I was taking this picture, I missed that the full-sized Body Cream was absent from the set. It had already been claimed and spirited away by one of our daughters, who became an instant fan of the sweet, summery scent.
What does Sweet Petals smell like? — those moments in late spring, when you know summer is just around the corner. The most fragrant flowers are blooming and berries have started to set on in the gardens, orchards and brambles. The aroma is floral and fruity, all at the same time. It lingers and uplifts your spirit as you go through your day. It’s feminine and breezy. It makes me want to wear a sundress and sandles and take a walk in an English garden. :) The Bodycology website describes the fragrance as “the heavenly scent of sweet pea mingled with berries to give you a brighter spirit and positive outlook.” They are 100% correct!
My favorite things about Bodycology products?
- Affordable – It’s not a big splurge to own them. Easy on the budget, they can be an everyday luxury.
- Fragrance – There is a fragrance that can match every personality, mood and season. They are long-lasting and stay with you through the day.
- Variety – Each fragrance is available in several formats, allowing you to be able to layer the scents and accommodate many different skin care needs.
- Many of the products are perfect for conditioning and nourishing my skin with ingredients like Moisturizing Aloe Vera, Shea Butter and Vitamins E & C.
Generous beyond belief, Bodycology is once again sponsoring a fabulous giveaway, in which one very lucky Busy-at-Home reader will win the same fantastic Sweet Petals Collection Gift Basket that I had the good fortune to review. Wouldn’t you love to have this wonderfully pampering and luxurious collection for yourself? Be sure you take the time to enter, below!
You must be 18 or older and a U.S. resident to enter. The mandatory entry MUST be completed before any optional entries will be counted. Deadline to enter is midnight (CST), Sunday, May 29, 2011. The winner will be selected in a random drawing, using random.org and will be notified by email.
Fragrance is a powerful force for setting memories and mood. In a comment below, tell me your favorite scent of summertime. Do you associate it with a specific memory?
Additional Optional Entries:
- Like Bodycology on Facebook and leave a comment below with your Facebook name, letting me know you did.
- Follow Bodycology on Twitter and leave a comment below with your Twitter handle, letting me know you did.
- Post a message on Bodycology’s Facebook wall letting them know you’re visiting from Busy-at-Home and thanking them for this awesome giveaway! Leave a comment here, letting me know you’ve done it.
- Follow Busy-at-Home on Twitter. Leave a comment letting me know you’ve done it.
- Like Busy-at-Home on Facebook. Leave a comment letting me know you’ve done it.
- Follow Busy-at-Home on Google Friends Connect. Use the “Join” button in the right-hand sidebar. Leave a comment letting me know you’ve done it.
- Subscribe to the Busy-at-Home Newsletter with this link (or in the right-hand sidebar). You will receive an email confirmation with a link that must be clicked to confirm your subscription. Once you click the email link to confirm your subscription, leave me a comment to let me know you’ve done it.
- Post this giveaway on your Facebook page. Enter to win a fabulous Bodycology Sweet Petals Collection Gift Basket at Busy-at-Home! Enjoy the sweet fragrances of summer in luxurious, spa-quality body care products. http://ow.ly/4SK5J Leave a comment below with a link to your post.
- Tweet this giveaway (1x daily) : #Win a fabulously, luxurious Bodycology Sweet Petals Collection Gift Basket @mybodycology @busyathome http://ow.ly/4SK5J #giveaway Leave a comment below with a link to your tweet.
I received the complete Bodycology Sweet Petals Collection, pictured above, in order to test the products and write this review. No monetary compensation was received and a positive review was not required. As with all Busy-at-Home reviews, the views and opinions expressed are wholly my own. Bodycology will ship the giveaway prize directly to the winner at the conclusion of the giveaway.
We have an exciting list of reviews and giveaways in the works as we approach Mother’s Day! We’re going to test some products from some of our favorite sponsors and add some new sponsors to our “family”. Be watching for our posts about testing: Boves Garlic Pasta Sauce (Did you know April is National Garlic […]
We have an exciting list of reviews and giveaways in the works as we approach Mother’s Day! We’re going to test some products from some of our favorite sponsors and add some new sponsors to our “family”. Be watching for our posts about testing:
- Boves Garlic Pasta Sauce (Did you know April is National Garlic month?)
- Bodycology Pampering Spa Basket of Sweet Petals fragranced products
- King Arthur Flour Pizza Party package that includes a baking stone!
- Mastermind Board Game from Pressman Toys
- Mastermind Towers from Pressman Toys (so your younger kids can get in on the fun.)
- Purex Complete with Zout Stain Remover (2 winners will receive a coupon for a full-sized bottle.)
The great news? Each of these companies is also sponsoring a giveaway!!! Busy-at-Home readers will all have a chance to win these products for their own family! Check back often or subscribe to our email updates, so you won’t miss any of these great giveaways!
This Giveaway is now Closed. Congratulations, Trisha, #320! Fragrance is powerful when it comes to creating a mood in our homes. This is never more important than when our home will be filled with family and friends. Adding to your home’s decor, the perfect fragrance can create a sense of welcome, homeyness and festivity. Gain’s […]
This Giveaway is now Closed.
Congratulations, Trisha, #320!
Fragrance is powerful when it comes to creating a mood in our homes. This is never more important than when our home will be filled with family and friends. Adding to your home’s decor, the perfect fragrance can create a sense of welcome, homeyness and festivity. Gain’s Apple Mango Tango fragranced products for your home can be an inviting part of your home’s “aroma profile” over the holidays. The sweet, fruity, musky fragrance blends so well with all the other smells that waft through our homes at the holidays.
I reviewed Gain’s Fresh & Clean line back in October, when I told you about my experiences with the Original Fresh Scent. I have had the good fortune, in preparing for our A Homemade Holiday series, to review another fragrance from this quality line of products, Apple Mango Tango. Not only did I enjoy the same quality cleaning power; I had truly enjoyed the distinctive fragrance and the ability to experience it throughout our home.
I received Gain’s Apple Mango Tango High Efficiency liquid laundry detergent, fabric softener, dishwashing liquid and Febreze Fabric Refresher, to test and try so that I could complete this review. Now that I am using a high efficiency washing machine, I appreciated the opportunity to get such deep, inviting fragrance using only a small measure of detergent. The aroma of both the detergent and fabric softener fill the laundry room and hallway with each load I wash and a happy surprise, unlike the Original Fresh scent, I find that Apple Mango Tango fabric softener leaves my laundry lightly scented, even after drying. The clothes smell wonderful and the house smells great! It takes a lot of the drudgery out of chores when the smells that come from doing them leave your home fresh and inviting and your spirit uplifted.
The results were no different in the kitchen. Gain’s Apple Mango Tango dishwashing liquid, not only cleaned my dishes, it sent a pleasing scent throughout the kitchen, family room and dining room. It didn’t hurt that I had also freshened the upholstery of the sofa and chairs with Febreze Fabric refresher in the Apple Mango Tango Scent, too. I love that the fragrance is consistent through the entire house as daily chores are completed. Apple Mango Tango puts me in the mind of fall and festivities, the smells of holiday baking and the comfort of family gatherings. Those are good feelings to have as we work to be stewards of our homes and serve the ones we are blessed to love and to have love us back.
If you haven’t experienced the profound effects of fragrance on your mood and motivation, I suggest you start with Gain’s Apple Mango Tango products. I have truly enjoyed them as a part of my daily responsibilities and you can find them right now, in all your favorite grocery and discount stores!
I have some great news for all of you trying to create an awesome homemade holiday season with me! Gain is going to provide the same Apple Mango Tango product pack to a Busy-at-Home reader! The winner will receive liquid laundry detergent, liquid fabric softener, dishwashing liquid and Febreze Fabric Refresher.
You must be 18 or older and reside in the U.S. to enter. Deadline to register is midnight (CST) Sunday, December 5, 2010. Mandatory entry must be completed for any optional entries to be counted.
In a comment below, tell me what fragrance profile is your favorite for the holidays? What aromas and smells do you use to make your home feel festive and inviting? That’s it! Once this is complete, you are welcome to submit any optional entries that you choose, as well.
Additional Optional Entries:
- Like Gain on Facebook. Leave a comment below with your Facebook name to let me know you’ve done it.
- Follow Gain on Twitter. Leave a comment below with your Twitter handle to let me know you’ve done it.
- Follow Busy-at-Home on Twitter. Leave a comment with your Twitter handle letting me know you’ve done it.
- Like Busy-at-Home on Facebook. Leave a comment with your Facebook name letting me know you’ve done it.
- Follow Busy-at-Home on Google Friends Connect. You can use this link or click the join button in our right-hand sidebar. Leave a comment letting me know you’ve done it.
- Subscribe to the Busy-at-Home Newsletter with this link or in the right-hand sidebar. You will receive an email confirmation with a link that must be clicked to confirm your subscription. Once you click the email link to confirm your subscription, leave me a comment to let me know you’ve done it.
- Post this giveaway on your Facebook page. I’m entered to win an Apple Mango Tango gift set from Gain and Busy-at-Home http://busy-at-home.com/blog/spice-up-your-home-at-the-holidays-with-gains-apple-mango-tango-review-giveaway/ Leave a comment below with a link to your post.
- Tweet this giveaway. (one x daily). I’m entered to win an Apple Mango Tango gift set from @Gain and @busyathome
http://ow.ly/3aegx #giveaway #review #win Leave a comment below with a link to your tweet.
This giveaway is closed. And the winner is #171 – Kim! Who wouldn’t love the total spa experience, with its body- and soul-pampering treatments, aroma therapy fragrances and relaxing atmosphere? It sounds like a dream escape from those difficult days that wear us down. In my case, with the commitment we’ve made to single-income living […]
This giveaway is closed. And the winner is #171 – Kim!
Who wouldn’t love the total spa experience, with its body- and soul-pampering treatments, aroma therapy fragrances and relaxing atmosphere? It sounds like a dream escape from those difficult days that wear us down. In my case, with the commitment we’ve made to single-income living and a frugal budget, a dream is ALL it is. In today’s economy, I’m guessing that fits most of you, as well. Well, a day at the spa may not fit our lifestyle, but that doesn’t mean we have to forgo some of the wonderfully pampering and luxurious relaxing moments that can be experienced there.
Suave has added three new fragrances to their Naturals line, which, until now, had included seven varieties of body wash and 12 shampoo and conditioners. The new fragrances are showcased in three lovely body washes and body lotions. I recently had the great good fortune to try both the Suave Naturals Body Wash and the Suave Naturals Body Lotion in the Lavender Vanilla fragrance. It is heavenly!
I love lavender essential oil for promoting relaxation and reducing nervous tension. For me, the fragrance stimulates the feeling of crisp, clean freshness while soothing away aches and tiredness. It doesn’t really matter how the fragrance is delivered, just smelling it, begins the therapeutic effects for me.
Suave Naturals Lavender Vanilla Body Wash instantly floods the entire bathroom with the sweet fragrances of lavender and vanilla. Coupled with the warm, waterfall of the shower, this luxurious body wash created rich, Vitamin E infused lather and helped to leave my skin soft and clean while rinsing away the stresses of the day. I also liked that, unlike other brands of body wash, a slight fragrance remained on my skin, even after the shower was over.
Suave Naturals Lavender Vanilla Body Lotion has climbed to the top of my list of absolute favorites. I am VERY picky when it comes to lotion. I don’t like sticky. I don’t like a heavy, greasy film left on my skin; and I definitely want my skin to feel smooth and moisture-infused. This beautifully fragranced lotion delivers on all counts! The lotion is thick and creamy, and yet, as I smoothed it into my skin, it felt as though cool water was being absorbed into my cells. I could literally FEEL the hydration! Fabulous!
I’m absolutely sold on these new Suave Naturals Body Care products. They clean, moisturize and pamper body and soul; and they’re gentle on my budget! Depending on where you shop, you should be able to find both products for around $4 each or even less! And to help you save even more on those already affordable prices, you can visit the Suave website to register for their coupons and specials newsletter and receive a $1 coupon off a Suave Naturals Body Lotion!
Whether you are shopping for yourself or planning gifts for the upcoming holidays, Suave Naturals Body Care products are fragrant, frugal and fabulously luxurious! Create a pampering spa experience at home with these inviting products.
Suave, through Mom Spark Media, will be providing a Suave Naturals Body Wash and Body Lotion for a lucky Busy-at-Home reader! The winner will select their choice from these three fragrances: Lavender Vanilla, Wild Cherry Blossom or Mango Mandarin! What a great opportunity!
You must be 18 or older and a U.S. resident to register. You must complete the mandatory entry for any optional entries to be counted. Winner will be selected in a random drawing using random.org, at midnight on Tuesday, November 2, 2010.
(Some of you may note a change in the required entry. This was required by the sponsor and will not affect entries made prior to the change. All entries will be counted. Thanks!)
Optional Additional Entries:
- Follow Suave on Twitter Leave a comment below with your Twitter ID and letting me know you are following them.
- Visit the Suave website and register to receive the $1 coupon for Suave Naturals Body Lotion. Leave a comment letting me know you’ve done it.
- Follow Suave on Facebook and leave a comment to let me know you’ve done it.
- Follow Busy-at-Home on Twitter. Leave a comment letting me know you’ve done it.
- Like Busy-at-Home on Facebook. Leave a comment letting me know you’ve done it.
- Tweet this giveaway (can be done 1x per day) I’m entered to win Suave Naturals Body Wash and Body Lotion @suavebeauty @busyathome http://busy-at-home.com/blog/flames-and-wicks-candles-review-and-giveaway/ #giveaway #review
- Subscribe to Busy-at-Home Newsletter with this link or in the right-hand sidebar. You will receive an email confirmation with a link that must be clicked to confirm your subscription. Once you click the email link to confirm your subscription, leave me a comment to let me know you’ve done it.
I received a Suave Naturals Lavender Vanilla Body Wash and Body Lotion from Suave, through Mom Spark Media, in order to conduct this review. A positive review was not required and no monetary compensation was received. As always, the views and opinions expressed are wholly my own.
It’s no secret that I LOVE Bodycology products. Bodycology is one of the most generous sponsors we’ve had here at Busy-at-Home. This is their second giveaway with us and for Blogmania they are pulling out all the stops! I received a gorgeous Christmas Gift basket filled with Brown Sugar Vanilla products in order to complete […]
It’s no secret that I LOVE Bodycology products. Bodycology is one of the most generous sponsors we’ve had here at Busy-at-Home. This is their second giveaway with us and for Blogmania they are pulling out all the stops! I received a gorgeous Christmas Gift basket filled with Brown Sugar Vanilla products in order to complete this review. A lucky Busy-at-Home reader will win the same gift basket in our Blogmania event, September 15 & 16.
Brown Sugar Vanilla products from Bodycology are my most favorite. The fragrance is sweet, homey and comfortable. It’s like being wrapped in your grandma’s favorite quilt and eating her fresh sugar cookies. The luxurious, creamy smooth products and the delicious aroma are the prefect package for a pampering, relaxing spa experience at home. There is no better way to blend comfort and luxury in one product! You won’t believe everything that is included in this beautiful Bodycology gift basket! I won’t re-review the products we have talked about in previous reviews, however I’m excited to tell you about a few new ones.
- full-size Bath and Shower Gel
- full-size Body Lotion
- full-size Body Cream – Bodycology’s Body Creams are a deep, rich moisturizing experience. The thick, smooth body cream leaves your skin feeling soft and refreshed without a heavy greasy feel. Body creams are enriched with Vitamins E & C, shea butter and aloe vera. I’m a bare-foot girl, most of the time, regardless of the season or the weather and my feet take a LOT of abuse. Bodycology body cream smooths away all the roughness and is the cool, refreshing finish to a perfect pedicure. Also, as I have gotten older, I notice my skin being much more dry in the winter months. The perfect solution for smooth, moisture-rich skin in the cold, dry seasons of the year, has been daily use of Bodycology Body Cream.
- full-size Body Spray
- full-size Antibacterial Scrubbing Hand Soap – Bodycology’s antibacterial scrubbing handsoaps contain Vitamin E, shea butter and aloe vera. They kill germs while cleaning your hands and like the foaming hand wash, leave skin smooth and moisturized. The major difference with this effective handsoap is the tiny scrubbing beads that are distributed throughout the gel. The sink in our laundry/utility room is the PERFECT spot for the scrubbing variety of Bodycology soaps. When I come in from working in the garden or flowerbeds, it provides a serious and thorough cleaning experience without drying out my skin.
- full-size Moisturizing Hand Sanitizer – Bodycology’s hand sanitizers are great to just toss in your purse and have with you wherever you go. They kill up to 99% of germs without water. There is no alcohol smell when it is applied and it allows you to moisturize your skin at the same time as sanitizing them, as it contains aloe vera. Immediately after application, I did note a slight tacky/sticky feeling. Once the hand sanitizer had completely dried there was no residue and my skin was moisturized.
- Gift Set with Sampler Sizes of Bath and Shower Gel, Body Cream and Body Mist plus a pair of warm, fuzzy, pink slipper-socks. This sampler gift set is just one example of the many different gift set packages you will be able to find from Bodycology throughout the Christmas holiday season. I look forward to picking up several every year, for gifts and some just for me. :) You will find that Bodycology products are such an affordable gift option, that is received with excitement. They’re definitely a great value for the cost.
I know you’ll all want to win this fabulous gift basket and to help increase your chances for this and every prize drawing in our Blogmania Giveaway event, I am providing one more Bonus Entry as part of this Bodycology Review.
- “Like” Bodycology on Facebook and post this note on their wall. I’m visiting from Busy-at-Home http://busy-at-home.com/blog/bodycology-brown-sugar-vanilla-gift-basket-review-giveaway/. I can’t wait for Blogmania 2010! Thanks for being a sponsor!
- BONUS ENTRIES HAVE NOW EXPIRED. Don’t miss the main event! Enter now at our main Blogmania entry page!
I received the Bodycology Christmas gift basket in order to conduct this review of the products and Bodycology will provide the same gift basket to one Blogmania winner. The views and opinions expressed are wholly my own. No payment was received to write this review.