I love innovations that save me time and save me money. If they save waste and the environment, that just puts them over the top, in my kitchen! Rubbermaid LunchBlox are those kinds of products. I know you’ll be like me, when you try them, wondering, “Why didn’t anyone think of that before?” These durable [...]
I love innovations that save me time and save me money. If they save waste and the environment, that just puts them over the top, in my kitchen! Rubbermaid LunchBlox are those kinds of products. I know you’ll be like me, when you try them, wondering, “Why didn’t anyone think of that before?” These durable containers are BPA-free, perfectly sized to hold typical lunch box fare for kids, and for adults; and making that one-time purchase, you’ll save money and waste, not having to buy and toss disposable plastic or ziptop bags.
The containers are also microwaveable, as well as dishwasher- and freezer-safe. In my opinion, the coolest feature is the modular design that allows each component to stack and snap into place over the component below it. Even the refreezable Blue Ice block has the modular snap into place design, so it can be attached to the bottom or in between the other components. Love, love, love!
The LunchBlox line includes several different styles of lunch kits: the Sandwich Kit, a Salad Kit, and an Entree Kit, plus the option to purchase containers individually to expand your current set. I like that option, too! You can also purchase a LunchBlox insulated lunch bag to hold your favorite kit and Rubbermaid beverage container. Our family was able to review the Sandwich Kit and I’m sold. I want to try the Salad and Entree Kit’s, soon. I foresee these becoming go-to containers for my kitchen and fridge.
With Back-to-School in full swing, anything that helps make morning prep and getting out the front door go more quickly and smoothly is a valuable tool for any busy family. Even as homeschoolers, prepping leftovers the night before, means each student can grab their own lunch and eat as it fits their work schedule. Packing lunches, in the evening, and snapping the components for each one together in the fridge, means anyone in the family can grab their “stack”, toss it in their lunch box and head out to meet their day. Easy is good! So is cost effective. I can’t think of anything I don’t like about these neat lunch kits and I’ll be using them regularly. I’m excited for you to check them out!
Rubbermaid is also sponsoring a generous GIVEAWAY for THREE Busy-at- Home readers to receive their own LunchBlox Sandwich Kit. To enter:
- Leave a comment on this post telling me which of the LunchBlox Kits is your favorite .
- Then use the Rafflecopter form to register your entry and unlock the optional extra entries. That’s it! Good luck!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
The first week of back-to-school can be a HUGE adjustment for families transitioning from summer to more busy and rigid schedules. Options for simplifying dinner, packing quick and easy lunches and offering tasty after-school snacks are on the mind of the good people at Kraft Foods and they have some fantastic, not to mention delicious, [...]
The first week of back-to-school can be a HUGE adjustment for families transitioning from summer to more busy and rigid schedules. Options for simplifying dinner, packing quick and easy lunches and offering tasty after-school snacks are on the mind of the good people at Kraft Foods and they have some fantastic, not to mention delicious, ideas for helping you navigate that familiar “first week back”. They know that saving time in the kitchen means you’ll have more time for family, and homework and laundry and…. maybe, a bubble bath! lol You get the idea. Kraft understands that busy families sometimes just need a little help pushing through that first week and some of the other hectic, activity-filled weeks that will inevitably follow.
Some of the Kraft products we tested out for OUR “first week back” are:
- CAPRI SUN Super V Juice – Fruit Punch: CAPRI SUN Super V is a new refreshing fruit & vegetable juice drink that kids will enjoy and moms will feel good about serving. The new ready-to-drink beverage, which comes in the popular CAPRI SUN pouch, contains a combined serving of fruits and vegetables (3/4 from fruit juice and 1/4 from vegetable juice) and is a good source of fiber, offering a perfect blend of nutrition, great taste and “kid cool.” The kids slurped these down with great gusto! Vegetable juice never entered the conversation. They just liked the way they tasted – plain and simple. It’s hard to argue with great taste, even if Grandma does say it’s good for you. :)
- LUNCHABLES with Smoothie: The new Turkey and Cheddar Sub Sandwich with Chiquita® Strawberry Banana Smoothie and Double Stuf OREOS is the perfect first-day lunch time option and combines all of your kids’ favorites! You can also try the new Chicken Strips and Deep Dish Pizza options to add some variety to lunchtime! Plus, look out for more exciting Lunchables news coming your way, next month, directly from the Lunchables team When my older kids were little, Lunchables were the ultimate treat. Now, my grandkids feel the same way and I love what a treat something so fast and simple for me, can be to them. We tried the variety that let the kids build their own mini sub sandwiches with turkey, cheese and condiments. They also included fruit smoothies and Oreo cookies. What kid wouldn’t love that?
- JELL-O with Mix-Ins Pudding Packs: Feed your family an evening snack, without the guilt, with new JELL-O with Mix-Ins. These pudding snacks featuring tasty toppings and creamy pudding that, when mixed, create some of your favorite dessert flavors. Flavors include: Strawberry Shortcake, OREO Dirt Cup, Birthday Cake, German Chocolate Cake, Turtle Sundae and Banana Caramel Pie. JELL-O with Mix-Ins are 160 calories or less and are made with real milk, are a good source of calcium, and contain no artificial sweeteners. Our local Walmart didn’t have these fun treats in stock, yet, but we are definitely anxious to give them a try. I’m not gonna lie. That Turtle Sundae is definitely calling my name!
- CHIPS AHOY!: Whether it’s packed as a surprise lunchbox treat or with some milk after school—you won’t be able to resist Chewy Gooey Caramel CHIPS AHOY! and Chewy CHIPS AHOY! with Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups. One, infused with a soft caramel inside, the other, a chewy treat packed with Reese’s Peanut Butter cup pieces. It was a dead tie, at our house, as to which of these Chips Ahoy! varieties was the favorite. Well, here’s the skinny on these cookies. Most of us would probably not classify these as a healthy snack. I know. I know. – lol – But, oh baby are they good and what a fun treat, once in a while. When you want something extra special as a treat, your kids will thank you for choosing these deliciously soft and chewy cookies. We all liked both varieties, but never could come to a full-fledged agreement as to which should be ranked #1. :) Personally, I think these cookies are not just a treat for kids and could become a mom’s best-kept secret. I can’t divulge any detailed information, but there may or may not be a private stash somewhere in OUR home.
- New! VELVEETA CHEESY SKILLETS Dinner Kits in Creamy Beef Stroganoff and Lasagna: Craft your family a quick, easy, molten and melty dinner made with the liquid gold of VELVEETA. Wield your skillet and one pound of ground beef to forge a feast of new Creamy Beef Stroganoff, with premium seasonings, curly ribbon pasta, and creamy VELVEETA cheese sauce. Or, forge VELVEETA CHEESY SKILLETS Lasagna by smiting together one pound of ground beef, lasagna noodles, red sauce and premium seasonings together with the liquid gold of VELVEETA. Our family absolutely LOVED these!!! I am not a big “helpers”-type boxed dinner kind of cook, but the flavor of these new Velveeta Cheesy Skillets is really good. Both varieties were hits with the family and I have no doubt that I will be buying them, again, when I’m in a pinch for time and need to get a tasty dinner on the table.
- sweat-free ice pack from Kids Konserve
- germ-x hand sanitizer
- colorful twirly straws
- meal planner pad
- calendar stickers
- memo pad
- Which of the Kraft Foods products, listed above, would your hungry family most enjoy trying? Leave a comment on this blog post to tell me which one.
- Use the Rafflecopter form below, to submit your entry and to open the additional optional entries.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
I received the Kraft Fresh Takes prize pack, pictured above, in order to test the products in my own kitchen and collect data for this review. No monetary compensation was received and a positive review was not required. As with all Busy-at-Home reviews, the views and opinions expressed are wholly my own and based on my personal experience with the product. While Busy-at-Home administers the giveaway and randomly selects the winner, the prize is provided and shipped by Kraft Foods.
What a fabulous opportunity I’ve had this week, to try a wonderful new product at Wal-Mart — Ecce Panis Bread. If you love homebaked bread, but just can’t find the time or motivation to tackle baking your own from scratch, or remembering to thaw frozen bread dough, Ecce Panis is a yummy solution. I had [...]
What a fabulous opportunity I’ve had this week, to try a wonderful new product at Wal-Mart — Ecce Panis Bread. If you love homebaked bread, but just can’t find the time or motivation to tackle baking your own from scratch, or remembering to thaw frozen bread dough, Ecce Panis is a yummy solution.
I had quite a bit of shopping to do, so I sat down and made a quick list, adding this new bread to it. I was anxious to not only see how it would look, but to taste it and see if they really could achieve that homemade flavor in just a handful of minutes in my oven. I wasn’t 100% sure where I would find it in our store. The bread aisle seemed like a logical choice, and yet, I swung by the bakery/deli department first and was happy to find the bread, right away. Next to our deli counter, there are wooden “islands” of baked goods. On the bottom shelf of the island closest to the deli, I found FOUR different varieties of the new Ecce Panis bread. Not wanting to play favorites, and seeing that they were all around $1.88 a loaf, I threw all four into the cart and headed off to get the rest of my groceries. After our experience with it, which I will relate, below, I heartily encourage you to find Ecce Panis breads in your local WalMart, for your own family!
My challenge, with this mission, was to create a delicious spread recipe to use on Ecce Panis breads, so I added several other things to my list as an idea for the spread started swirling in my head — cream cheese, (of course ), green onions, bell peppers in red, yellow and orange, bacon, cheddar cheese… This definitely seemed to be going in a savory direction and I was envisioning something like the wrap filling I had come up with for our daughter’s graduation party that incorporated cream cheese, my homemade hot pepper jelly, lots of veggies and fresh herbs, cheddar cheese and diced chicken breast. It was really tasty and with some simple modifications, I thought I could transform it into a delicious spread. Ideas were churning as I continued through the grocery aisles. Thank heavens I had taken a list, or I would have had one of everything in the store! As it was, I did succumb to the beautiful selection of fresh berries on display and made it home with a pint of gorgeous blackberries. If you want to see more pictures of my shopping trip (I apologize in advance for the picture quality. When I got to the store I realized the only camera I had with me was on my phone. ), check out my Google+ album.
The Ecce Panis lived up to it’s “freshly baked bread in minutes” label. It is truly delicious; and warm from the oven, you would be hard pressed to know it wasn’t white bread baked in your own kitchen. Our family ate each variety with pleasure and gusto – no shrinking violets in our house, when it comes to homemade bread! We had the french baguettes, sliced on the diagonal for crostinis and the french dinner rolls made great sandwiches for a quick chicken salad lunch. I used the ciabatta and Neo-Tuscan Mini Boule to serve the fabulous Blackberry Cream Cheese Spread that I’m about to share with you.
Okay, so I drove home from WalMart, unpacked my groceries and quickly started my recipe idea’s transition from wrap filling to spread. Epic fail! -lol- It actually tasted great and my son probably ate 2/3 of it in the first hour or so, but it was not as “pretty” as I pictured it and I wanted this to be really special, so….rewind! What else did I have on hand that would make a delicious spread and look as beautiful as it tasted? I’m starting to think that deviation from my grocery list was God-inspired. Blackberries! Well, to say it was a success to change courses, would be an understatement. We loved the color, the flavor and the texture of this delicious spread. It’s only five ingredients and we will make this over and over again, easily substituting whatever fresh berries are in season. Your family will think you’re amazing!
This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias. #CBias #EasterMeals As with all Busy-at-Home reviews, the views and opinions expressed are wholly my own and based on my personal experience with the product.
UPDATE: It is with great sadness that I can no longer endorse the company producing and marketing the NuWave PIC. I LOVE, seriously LOVE the product, but the manner in which they charge for shipping is, in my opinion, not ethical. The product is worth far more than the $99 being charged for it; and [...]
UPDATE: It is with great sadness that I can no longer endorse the company producing and marketing the NuWave PIC. I LOVE, seriously LOVE the product, but the manner in which they charge for shipping is, in my opinion, not ethical. The product is worth far more than the $99 being charged for it; and it would seem more honest to me to simply charge what the product is actually worth, rather than saying it is only $99 and then charging inflated prices for the shipping and handling. Should those practices ever change, Busy-at-Home would be glad, once again, to endorse not only a great product, but the company who produces it. Thank you for understanding.
Okay, tell the truth. You thought I was NEVER posting another recipe, again. Right? Me, TOO! No, actually, believe it or not I have still been cooking up a storm, all this time. (My people like to eat.) There have just been so many amazing projects and giveaways to share with you lately, that between completing them and writing about them, and once in awhile homeschooling and doing a load of laundry or going way out on a limb and getting in 2 or 3 hours of sleep, the recipes just haven’t been getting posted. So, get ready. There will probably be a whole slew of them coming at once! -lol- It’s feast or famine around here, Baby. Tonight though, we’re going to feast. And this dish will be a keeper. You may actually want to pull it together for your family dinner on Sunday. They’ll love it!
I was wandering through the boards on Pinterest, last week, and I found a pin that looked wonderful and it led me to Let’s Dish and the recipe for Cheesy Enchilada Casserole. Danelle’s site is gorgeous. Her food photography skills are over the top. I could have spent hours just looking at all her pictures, except for the fact that I was now determined to make that recipe — sort of. You already know this story. Some of the ingredients, I didn’t have. Some of them, my family didn’t care for. And I had an idea or two to make this gorgeous dish with our own family flair. So, here is our interpretation with many thanks to Danelle, for inspiring us to add what is a new family favorite to our meal rotation. (On a side note, I think this dish would freeze amazingly well, too.)
As it turns out, the timing to give this a shot was perfect! I had just received a NuWave Precision Induction Cooktop, from Hearthware, to review; and so I was able to prepare the filling for this yummy dish, right in the middle of my kitchen counter! (You’ll see why that’s a big deal, in just a minute.) Those of you who’ve been around Busy-at-Home for awhile, no that I cook on a Samsung Induction Range. I absolutely adore induction cooking and would be hard-pressed to ever go back.
To pare things down to the bare facts for you, induction cooking uses an electromagnet to generate heat in the cooking vessel, not in the cooktop, itself. Under the glass of the cooktop there is a copper coil, that produces a gentle electromagnetic field when electricity passes through it. This starts the molecules of your pan vibrating, which creates heat. The pan is heating up, not the cooktop. Totally cool, right? Your cookware needs to be stainless steel or cast iron (magnetic) in order for the range to work. I can boil a saucepot of water in about 90 seconds on my stovetop. The glass top doesn’t heat up (though it DOES get warm under the pot, where heat from the pot is transferred to the cook top), because all the energy goes directly into the cookware. It’s a much more even and consistent way of cooking and I don’t have any of the issues that come with typical glass top stoves. For instance, spills don’t bake on. Sprinkling sugar onto most hot glass-tops, results in a lifelong, baked on crunch or even small pits burned in. Induction cooktops don’t have enough heat to melt the sugar, mush less burn it on. Love, love, love that! My grandbabies have stood on their tippy-toes and reached over the top edge of the stove and unless they directly touched the pot, I didn’t have to worry about a burn. The moment that truly sold me was a demonstration where a skillet had been cut in half and then placed on the range. The rep cracked an egg, half onto the skillet, and half onto the “burner” of the cooktop. In a mere moment, the side of the egg sitting in the skillet was cooked through, while the half sitting on the burner was as raw as the moment he had placed it there. Amazing! Okay, so enough with my love fest for my induction range. Now that you get how amazing it is and how it works, I want to tell you that there is one thing about it that annoys me profusely. It only has one large burner. The other three are terribly small. In this family, that’s a problem. We don’t cook small. Hmmph! A bothersome raincloud on my kitchen parade.
I’ve also told you, many times, that I am amazed at the way that God provides; and how I never cease to be delighted at the way He takes interest in and cares about even the small, everyday things in our lives. In a strange twist of events, He provided me with a “big burner” through my association with Hearthware, the company that brought us that fabulous NuWave oven! The NuWave PIC (Precision Induction Cooktop) is one of their new products and what a blessing! I was fortunate enough to be asked to test it out and share my thoughts with you. A girl never gets tired of “having her dreams come true”. This was over-the-top perfect! I am officially in “big burner” heaven! – lol
So, here’s how my first cooking session with this excellent
Needless to say, I’m as thrilled with the NuWave Precision Induction Cooktop as I was with the NuWave Oven. You can bank on the fact that I am officially a hardcore Hearthware products fan and baby this is a TWO big-burner kitchen, now!
What’s your family’s favorite winter-time comfort food — the one that’s so delish and they get excited about when they hear that’s what’s for dinner? Did you change up a tried and true recipe and make it all your own? I hope you’ll share it in a comment, below!
I received a NuWave PIC in order to test it in my own kitchen and conduct this review. No monetary compensation was received and a positive review was not required. As with all Busy-at-Home reviews, the views and opinions expressed are wholly my own and based on my own personal experience with the product.