This has been my quinoa experimenting week. Now that I’ve discovered that I love the texture and the nutty flavor, and that the nutritional benefits are extreme, I’ve been challenging myself to create even more recipes to use it in. This quick lunch recipe will be in our regular rotation. It turned out to be a delicious, inexpensive and veggie-packed meal that came together in minutes. It’s very simple to prepare and the flavor will be enhanced and get better after being in the fridge for a couple of hours or overnight. This made a good-sized batch and we had sandwiches from it over the course of three days.
Quinoa Salad Sandwiches and red grapes with some mixed spring salad greens made a delicious lunch!
I think this would also be delicious and beautiful as the filling for stuffed tomatoes or yummy tucked inside a pita for a sandwich on the go. I used the veggies I had in the kitchen, so this is a recipe that will lend itself well to many variations and tastes. I WILL say that the cauliflower was a perfect texture complement and even gave the look of hard-boiled egg whites, so you might be able to pass it off as egg salad, if you have someone who doesn’t like trying new things. Also, the dressing can be decreased or increased, as suits your family’s palate. Some like their sandwiches drier, some moister. In my house I have people on both extremes and so I try to meet somewhere in the middle.
The ingredients I began with as I started working out this recipe - quinoa, cauliflower, cucumber, green onions, celery and red bell pepper.
Easy Quinoa Salad Sandwiches
- 2 cups quinoa, cooked and cooled
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 1 small, or 1/2 a large, cucumber, finely diced
- 2 green onions, sliced thin
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 cup cauliflower, finely diced
- 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 to 1 1/4 cups sour cream
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup Miracle Whip
- 2 Tablespoons yellow mustard
- Stir together the quinoa and veggies in a medium-size mixing bowl.
- Mix the sour cream, Miracle Whip, mustard, salt and dill in a small bowl. Pour over the veggie quinoa mixture.
- Stir the dressing into the quinoa and vegetables until all ingredients are thoroughly incorporated.
- Cover and chill in the refrigerator for up to three days.
- Use this salad filling to create delicious and satisfying sandwiches for lunch, fill stuffed tomatoes on a salad plate or fill a pita pocket with it for a meal-on-the go.
Definitely change up the veggies in this recipe to suit your family's preferences.
I think you could easily substitute plain yogurt for the sour cream in the recipe, with good results. I just didn't have any on hand, at the time.